Jul 9, 2010, 6:10 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers confirmed today’s rumors; they signed Nikolai Zherdev to a one-year contract. It’s unclear what his salary/cap hit will be just yet. Update via CSN Philly: word is that Zherdev’s cap hit will be $2 million. Not bad.
Earlier today, I discussed that signing the hit-or-miss Russian to a one-year contract makes a lot more sense than the previous rumors of a multi-year pact. It’s too early to call the deal a “slam dunk” without knowing the financial terms, but I’m generally OK with teams taking single season risks.
“Nik is a highly-skilled player who, at 25-years-old, we feel will be a good fit to our core of forwards,” said Holmgren. “Prior to playing last season in Russia, Nik ranked as one of the top young point-producers in the NHL. We are pleased to add him to our team.”
Zherdev, 25, appeared in 52 games with Atlant-Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League in 2009-10 where he recorded 39 points (13G,26A) and 79 penalty minutes during the regular season. He led the team in penalty minutes (79), while also finishing second on the team in assists (26) and third in points (39) this past season.
In 2008-09, his last season in the National Hockey League, he recorded 58 points (23G,35A) and 39 penalty minutes and appeared in all 82 regular season games with the New York Rangers. He led all Rangers in goals (23) and tied for the team lead in points (58), while finishing second on the club in assists (35).
Of course, there is a good chance that signing the right-handed winger will force someone else out, with the most popular rumor being Simon Gagne. At their peaks, I’d say that Gagne is actually the more talented player, but Zherdev is younger, less injury-prone and might come at a cheaper price. Those factors make the Flyers appear fairly logical.
I’ll update this post once I find out financial details. Until then, let me ask you: is Zherdev worth the risk? Let us know in the comments.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)