Jul 8, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at two moves made on the bench and in the front office today.
- It’s been rumored for a while, but it’s official as of Thursday: John Torchetti (seen in the picture hilariously celebrating the Chicago Blackhawks Cup win) will be Craig Ramsay’s associate coach in Atlanta. TSN has the report.
John Torchetti has left the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks to serve as associate coach under Atlanta Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay.
The 45-year-old Torchetti has been an assistant with Tampa Bay, Florida, Los Angeles and Chicago. He was an interim head coach with Florida and Los Angeles.
This will be the fourth city in which Torchetti has worked with new Thrashers general manager Rick Dudley.
- The Calgary Flames announced that former Tampa Bay Lightning GM Jay Feaster will join their front office as the assistant general manager. (Also reported by TSN.)
On one hand, Feaster helped build the 2004 Stanley Cup winning Lightning squad. Unfortunately, he also helped construct the time-bomb that was their salary cap situation. The team lost Nikolai Khabibulin the summer after they won the Cup. He signed Dan Boyle and Brad Richards to contracts that forced the Lightning to trade them for little return. Generally speaking, the team fell apart after that anomalous championship season.
Hate to say it, but I hope that the Flames have a good capologist in their lower ranks. Neither Feaster nor current GM Darryl Sutter can count cap savvy among their greatest skills.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)