Jul 8, 2010, 8:00 PM EST
Let’s take a look at two moves made on the bench and in the front office today.
- It’s been rumored for a while, but it’s official as of Thursday: John Torchetti (seen in the picture hilariously celebrating the Chicago Blackhawks Cup win) will be Craig Ramsay’s associate coach in Atlanta. TSN has the report.
John Torchetti has left the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks to serve as associate coach under Atlanta Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay.
The 45-year-old Torchetti has been an assistant with Tampa Bay, Florida, Los Angeles and Chicago. He was an interim head coach with Florida and Los Angeles.
This will be the fourth city in which Torchetti has worked with new Thrashers general manager Rick Dudley.
- The Calgary Flames announced that former Tampa Bay Lightning GM Jay Feaster will join their front office as the assistant general manager. (Also reported by TSN.)
On one hand, Feaster helped build the 2004 Stanley Cup winning Lightning squad. Unfortunately, he also helped construct the time-bomb that was their salary cap situation. The team lost Nikolai Khabibulin the summer after they won the Cup. He signed Dan Boyle and Brad Richards to contracts that forced the Lightning to trade them for little return. Generally speaking, the team fell apart after that anomalous championship season.
Hate to say it, but I hope that the Flames have a good capologist in their lower ranks. Neither Feaster nor current GM Darryl Sutter can count cap savvy among their greatest skills.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 0
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 36
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)