Jul 8, 2010, 8:00 PM EST
Let’s take a look at two moves made on the bench and in the front office today.
- It’s been rumored for a while, but it’s official as of Thursday: John Torchetti (seen in the picture hilariously celebrating the Chicago Blackhawks Cup win) will be Craig Ramsay’s associate coach in Atlanta. TSN has the report.
John Torchetti has left the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks to serve as associate coach under Atlanta Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay.
The 45-year-old Torchetti has been an assistant with Tampa Bay, Florida, Los Angeles and Chicago. He was an interim head coach with Florida and Los Angeles.
This will be the fourth city in which Torchetti has worked with new Thrashers general manager Rick Dudley.
- The Calgary Flames announced that former Tampa Bay Lightning GM Jay Feaster will join their front office as the assistant general manager. (Also reported by TSN.)
On one hand, Feaster helped build the 2004 Stanley Cup winning Lightning squad. Unfortunately, he also helped construct the time-bomb that was their salary cap situation. The team lost Nikolai Khabibulin the summer after they won the Cup. He signed Dan Boyle and Brad Richards to contracts that forced the Lightning to trade them for little return. Generally speaking, the team fell apart after that anomalous championship season.
Hate to say it, but I hope that the Flames have a good capologist in their lower ranks. Neither Feaster nor current GM Darryl Sutter can count cap savvy among their greatest skills.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)