Jul 8, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at two moves made on the bench and in the front office today.
- It’s been rumored for a while, but it’s official as of Thursday: John Torchetti (seen in the picture hilariously celebrating the Chicago Blackhawks Cup win) will be Craig Ramsay’s associate coach in Atlanta. TSN has the report.
John Torchetti has left the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks to serve as associate coach under Atlanta Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay.
The 45-year-old Torchetti has been an assistant with Tampa Bay, Florida, Los Angeles and Chicago. He was an interim head coach with Florida and Los Angeles.
This will be the fourth city in which Torchetti has worked with new Thrashers general manager Rick Dudley.
- The Calgary Flames announced that former Tampa Bay Lightning GM Jay Feaster will join their front office as the assistant general manager. (Also reported by TSN.)
On one hand, Feaster helped build the 2004 Stanley Cup winning Lightning squad. Unfortunately, he also helped construct the time-bomb that was their salary cap situation. The team lost Nikolai Khabibulin the summer after they won the Cup. He signed Dan Boyle and Brad Richards to contracts that forced the Lightning to trade them for little return. Generally speaking, the team fell apart after that anomalous championship season.
Hate to say it, but I hope that the Flames have a good capologist in their lower ranks. Neither Feaster nor current GM Darryl Sutter can count cap savvy among their greatest skills.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)