Jul 8, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals signed forward Eric Fehr to a two-year, $4.4 million contract extension, allowing them to avoid the arduous arbitration process. Ken Campbell of The Hockey News reported the news.
Fehr, who had career highs of 21 goals and 39 points in 69 games in 2009-10, made $772,000, which means he received almost a 200 percent raise on his previous salary.
Fehr averaged about 12 minutes of ice time per game, so getting just about a point every other game isn’t half-bad.
Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post shares more information about the Washington Capitals’ restricted free agents/off-season in general.
With Boyd Gordon, Jeff Schultz and now Fehr back in the fold, that leaves Tomas Fleischmann as the Caps’ only remaining unsigned restricted free agent.
In other news, Michael Nylander cleared waivers, which isn’t surprising and doesn’t really change anything regarding his status with the Caps.
The addition of Fehr brings the Caps’ salary cap space to about $9.4 million, if my CapGeek.com arithmetic is correct. Washington sports a nice group of minor league prospects, so I must ask: would they be interested in poking around for a mid-level forward? Or maybe they’d rather have a bunch of extra space available for a trade deadline salary dump?
Either way, I like the direction the Capitals are going in. There’s very little fat on the roster … at least now that they got rid of Nylander and didn’t do something foolish like re-signing Jose Theodore.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)