Jul 8, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals signed forward Eric Fehr to a two-year, $4.4 million contract extension, allowing them to avoid the arduous arbitration process. Ken Campbell of The Hockey News reported the news.
Fehr, who had career highs of 21 goals and 39 points in 69 games in 2009-10, made $772,000, which means he received almost a 200 percent raise on his previous salary.
Fehr averaged about 12 minutes of ice time per game, so getting just about a point every other game isn’t half-bad.
Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post shares more information about the Washington Capitals’ restricted free agents/off-season in general.
With Boyd Gordon, Jeff Schultz and now Fehr back in the fold, that leaves Tomas Fleischmann as the Caps’ only remaining unsigned restricted free agent.
In other news, Michael Nylander cleared waivers, which isn’t surprising and doesn’t really change anything regarding his status with the Caps.
The addition of Fehr brings the Caps’ salary cap space to about $9.4 million, if my CapGeek.com arithmetic is correct. Washington sports a nice group of minor league prospects, so I must ask: would they be interested in poking around for a mid-level forward? Or maybe they’d rather have a bunch of extra space available for a trade deadline salary dump?
Either way, I like the direction the Capitals are going in. There’s very little fat on the roster … at least now that they got rid of Nylander and didn’t do something foolish like re-signing Jose Theodore.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)