Jul 7, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres continue to do what they do best come free agency season: Be patient and fill holes on the roster wisely. The Sabres responded to losing defensemen Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman on the first day of free agency by signing defenseman Jordan Leopold away from Pittsburgh. Today, they’ve helped stabilize their center position by signing Rob Niedermayer away from the Devils.
Sources tell TSN that Rob Niedermayer has signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the club.
The 35-year old played last season with the New Jersey Devils and recorded 10 goals and 12 assists in 71 games played.
The money was right for Buffalo and length is appropriate as well. For the Sabres it gives them some depth up the middle and allows the Sabres to slide rough and tumble center Paul Gaustad down to the fourth line if they wish. With the amount of youth the Sabres have to run with up the middle (Tyler Ennis for instance), getting a veteran presence to show some of the kids the ropes is a savvy move and one Buffalo fans, like it or not, have become accustomed to.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 10
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 31
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 56
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 85
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 11
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut