Jul 7, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres continue to do what they do best come free agency season: Be patient and fill holes on the roster wisely. The Sabres responded to losing defensemen Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman on the first day of free agency by signing defenseman Jordan Leopold away from Pittsburgh. Today, they’ve helped stabilize their center position by signing Rob Niedermayer away from the Devils.
Sources tell TSN that Rob Niedermayer has signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the club.
The 35-year old played last season with the New Jersey Devils and recorded 10 goals and 12 assists in 71 games played.
The money was right for Buffalo and length is appropriate as well. For the Sabres it gives them some depth up the middle and allows the Sabres to slide rough and tumble center Paul Gaustad down to the fourth line if they wish. With the amount of youth the Sabres have to run with up the middle (Tyler Ennis for instance), getting a veteran presence to show some of the kids the ropes is a savvy move and one Buffalo fans, like it or not, have become accustomed to.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)