Jul 7, 2010, 12:40 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres continue to do what they do best come free agency season: Be patient and fill holes on the roster wisely. The Sabres responded to losing defensemen Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman on the first day of free agency by signing defenseman Jordan Leopold away from Pittsburgh. Today, they’ve helped stabilize their center position by signing Rob Niedermayer away from the Devils.
Sources tell TSN that Rob Niedermayer has signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the club.
The 35-year old played last season with the New Jersey Devils and recorded 10 goals and 12 assists in 71 games played.
The money was right for Buffalo and length is appropriate as well. For the Sabres it gives them some depth up the middle and allows the Sabres to slide rough and tumble center Paul Gaustad down to the fourth line if they wish. With the amount of youth the Sabres have to run with up the middle (Tyler Ennis for instance), getting a veteran presence to show some of the kids the ropes is a savvy move and one Buffalo fans, like it or not, have become accustomed to.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)