Jul 7, 2010, 12:40 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres continue to do what they do best come free agency season: Be patient and fill holes on the roster wisely. The Sabres responded to losing defensemen Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman on the first day of free agency by signing defenseman Jordan Leopold away from Pittsburgh. Today, they’ve helped stabilize their center position by signing Rob Niedermayer away from the Devils.
Sources tell TSN that Rob Niedermayer has signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the club.
The 35-year old played last season with the New Jersey Devils and recorded 10 goals and 12 assists in 71 games played.
The money was right for Buffalo and length is appropriate as well. For the Sabres it gives them some depth up the middle and allows the Sabres to slide rough and tumble center Paul Gaustad down to the fourth line if they wish. With the amount of youth the Sabres have to run with up the middle (Tyler Ennis for instance), getting a veteran presence to show some of the kids the ropes is a savvy move and one Buffalo fans, like it or not, have become accustomed to.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)