Jul 7, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres continue to do what they do best come free agency season: Be patient and fill holes on the roster wisely. The Sabres responded to losing defensemen Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman on the first day of free agency by signing defenseman Jordan Leopold away from Pittsburgh. Today, they’ve helped stabilize their center position by signing Rob Niedermayer away from the Devils.
Sources tell TSN that Rob Niedermayer has signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the club.
The 35-year old played last season with the New Jersey Devils and recorded 10 goals and 12 assists in 71 games played.
The money was right for Buffalo and length is appropriate as well. For the Sabres it gives them some depth up the middle and allows the Sabres to slide rough and tumble center Paul Gaustad down to the fourth line if they wish. With the amount of youth the Sabres have to run with up the middle (Tyler Ennis for instance), getting a veteran presence to show some of the kids the ropes is a savvy move and one Buffalo fans, like it or not, have become accustomed to.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)