Jul 7, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres did themselves and their superstar goalie a big favor today by re-signing backup goalie Patrick Lalime. Sabres Edge provides the details.
Lalime, who turned 36 today, went 4-8-2 with the Sabres last season with a 2.81 goals-against average and .905 save percentage. The 12-year veteran has a record of 200-169-48 and a 2.57 GAA with Pittsburgh, Ottawa, St. Louis, Chicago and Buffalo. He is 9-21-5 during his stay with the Sabres.
Lalime’s deal will pay him $600,000 for one year.
Obviously those stats aren’t exactly endearing if you’re a Sabres fan and Lalime showed some inability to help make sure Ryan Miller could have a complete night off when he needed one. That said, Miller’s respect for Lalime and the knowledge he’s helped share with him was noted during Miller’s Vezina Trophy acceptance speech. Lalime’s familiarity with the Sabres and the progress the team made defensively speaking helps keep things settled defensively for Lindy Ruff’s team.
This signing also makes sure that Sabres prospect goalie Jhonas Enroth gets to hone his game for another year at AHL Portland. There’s no need to hurry a young goalie to the NHL when there’s not going to be much work had for him. Miller played in 69 regular season games last year so backing him up requires a lot more hat-wearing and bench-sitting than anything else.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)