Jul 7, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres did themselves and their superstar goalie a big favor today by re-signing backup goalie Patrick Lalime. Sabres Edge provides the details.
Lalime, who turned 36 today, went 4-8-2 with the Sabres last season with a 2.81 goals-against average and .905 save percentage. The 12-year veteran has a record of 200-169-48 and a 2.57 GAA with Pittsburgh, Ottawa, St. Louis, Chicago and Buffalo. He is 9-21-5 during his stay with the Sabres.
Lalime’s deal will pay him $600,000 for one year.
Obviously those stats aren’t exactly endearing if you’re a Sabres fan and Lalime showed some inability to help make sure Ryan Miller could have a complete night off when he needed one. That said, Miller’s respect for Lalime and the knowledge he’s helped share with him was noted during Miller’s Vezina Trophy acceptance speech. Lalime’s familiarity with the Sabres and the progress the team made defensively speaking helps keep things settled defensively for Lindy Ruff’s team.
This signing also makes sure that Sabres prospect goalie Jhonas Enroth gets to hone his game for another year at AHL Portland. There’s no need to hurry a young goalie to the NHL when there’s not going to be much work had for him. Miller played in 69 regular season games last year so backing him up requires a lot more hat-wearing and bench-sitting than anything else.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)