Jul 7, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres did themselves and their superstar goalie a big favor today by re-signing backup goalie Patrick Lalime. Sabres Edge provides the details.
Lalime, who turned 36 today, went 4-8-2 with the Sabres last season with a 2.81 goals-against average and .905 save percentage. The 12-year veteran has a record of 200-169-48 and a 2.57 GAA with Pittsburgh, Ottawa, St. Louis, Chicago and Buffalo. He is 9-21-5 during his stay with the Sabres.
Lalime’s deal will pay him $600,000 for one year.
Obviously those stats aren’t exactly endearing if you’re a Sabres fan and Lalime showed some inability to help make sure Ryan Miller could have a complete night off when he needed one. That said, Miller’s respect for Lalime and the knowledge he’s helped share with him was noted during Miller’s Vezina Trophy acceptance speech. Lalime’s familiarity with the Sabres and the progress the team made defensively speaking helps keep things settled defensively for Lindy Ruff’s team.
This signing also makes sure that Sabres prospect goalie Jhonas Enroth gets to hone his game for another year at AHL Portland. There’s no need to hurry a young goalie to the NHL when there’s not going to be much work had for him. Miller played in 69 regular season games last year so backing him up requires a lot more hat-wearing and bench-sitting than anything else.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)