Jul 7, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres did themselves and their superstar goalie a big favor today by re-signing backup goalie Patrick Lalime. Sabres Edge provides the details.
Lalime, who turned 36 today, went 4-8-2 with the Sabres last season with a 2.81 goals-against average and .905 save percentage. The 12-year veteran has a record of 200-169-48 and a 2.57 GAA with Pittsburgh, Ottawa, St. Louis, Chicago and Buffalo. He is 9-21-5 during his stay with the Sabres.
Lalime’s deal will pay him $600,000 for one year.
Obviously those stats aren’t exactly endearing if you’re a Sabres fan and Lalime showed some inability to help make sure Ryan Miller could have a complete night off when he needed one. That said, Miller’s respect for Lalime and the knowledge he’s helped share with him was noted during Miller’s Vezina Trophy acceptance speech. Lalime’s familiarity with the Sabres and the progress the team made defensively speaking helps keep things settled defensively for Lindy Ruff’s team.
This signing also makes sure that Sabres prospect goalie Jhonas Enroth gets to hone his game for another year at AHL Portland. There’s no need to hurry a young goalie to the NHL when there’s not going to be much work had for him. Miller played in 69 regular season games last year so backing him up requires a lot more hat-wearing and bench-sitting than anything else.
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 3
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 6
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 9
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 32
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 40
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)