Jul 7, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres did themselves and their superstar goalie a big favor today by re-signing backup goalie Patrick Lalime. Sabres Edge provides the details.
Lalime, who turned 36 today, went 4-8-2 with the Sabres last season with a 2.81 goals-against average and .905 save percentage. The 12-year veteran has a record of 200-169-48 and a 2.57 GAA with Pittsburgh, Ottawa, St. Louis, Chicago and Buffalo. He is 9-21-5 during his stay with the Sabres.
Lalime’s deal will pay him $600,000 for one year.
Obviously those stats aren’t exactly endearing if you’re a Sabres fan and Lalime showed some inability to help make sure Ryan Miller could have a complete night off when he needed one. That said, Miller’s respect for Lalime and the knowledge he’s helped share with him was noted during Miller’s Vezina Trophy acceptance speech. Lalime’s familiarity with the Sabres and the progress the team made defensively speaking helps keep things settled defensively for Lindy Ruff’s team.
This signing also makes sure that Sabres prospect goalie Jhonas Enroth gets to hone his game for another year at AHL Portland. There’s no need to hurry a young goalie to the NHL when there’s not going to be much work had for him. Miller played in 69 regular season games last year so backing him up requires a lot more hat-wearing and bench-sitting than anything else.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 14
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 47
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 84
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (84)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games