Jul 6, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks will no longer be playing in GM Place. OK, that’s a little misleading, as it turns out that the naming rights to the home of the ‘Nucks will now be Rogers Arena instead, according to Jeff Marek.
It was widely believed that the contest for naming rights came down to two Canadian communications giants – Rogers and Telus. This will now be the second blow Telus has suffered on the sports sponsorship front. The company lost out to Bell to be the telecommunications sponsor for the 2010 Winter Games.
For Rogers, being attached to the biggest and most popular brand in Vancouver would undoubtedly boost the company’s chances of building its profile on the West Coast.
The company already owns naming rights for a major stadium in Toronto – Rogers Centre, home of the Toronto Blue Jays.
I’ve always wondered if naming rights were ever really worth it for the companies that often pay big money to plaster their names on stadiums and arenas. Some local sports writers and radio hosts even choose to give arenas disparaging and/or humorous nicknames to avoid promoting such big business moves.
Regardless, Rogers won the bidding war so … congrats to them?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)