Jul 6, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks will no longer be playing in GM Place. OK, that’s a little misleading, as it turns out that the naming rights to the home of the ‘Nucks will now be Rogers Arena instead, according to Jeff Marek.
It was widely believed that the contest for naming rights came down to two Canadian communications giants – Rogers and Telus. This will now be the second blow Telus has suffered on the sports sponsorship front. The company lost out to Bell to be the telecommunications sponsor for the 2010 Winter Games.
For Rogers, being attached to the biggest and most popular brand in Vancouver would undoubtedly boost the company’s chances of building its profile on the West Coast.
The company already owns naming rights for a major stadium in Toronto – Rogers Centre, home of the Toronto Blue Jays.
I’ve always wondered if naming rights were ever really worth it for the companies that often pay big money to plaster their names on stadiums and arenas. Some local sports writers and radio hosts even choose to give arenas disparaging and/or humorous nicknames to avoid promoting such big business moves.
Regardless, Rogers won the bidding war so … congrats to them?
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)