Jul 6, 2010, 7:52 PM EST
Windsor Regional Hospital in Ontario have found out that no foul play affected the death of former NHL enforcer Bob Probert. Mlive.com’s George Malik has been all over everything about what’s going on with the death of Probert, and I can tip my cap to him for virtually every thing that’s been said or found out about what happened yesterday.
One note that Malik does pass along is that Detroit’s WXYZ had a report stating there was something telling about the possible cause of death.
Per the evening news: WXYZ’s Don Shane confirms Probert had 90% blockage on left side of his heart and that caused a heart attack.
The catch with anyone in the media reporting this, as Malik notes in his update, is that the hospital won’t release the actual cause of death themselves and it’s up to the family if they want to release the information. A toxicology report will be run on Probert as well, but that will take up to a month to return results. That said, if it’s true that Probert’s heart was in such shape, death via heart attack is not at all surprising.
What makes this report even sadder still is that heart problems ran in Probert’s family as his father passed away at the age of 41 from a heart attack as the National Post finds out from Glen Schofield, a childhood friend of Probert’s.
“His dad passed away at about the same age,” he remembered. “Bob was 17. He buried him the day before he left for training camp in (Brantford of the Ontario Hockey League). … But his father knew he had been drafted that summer.”
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35