Jul 6, 2010, 7:52 PM EDT
Windsor Regional Hospital in Ontario have found out that no foul play affected the death of former NHL enforcer Bob Probert. Mlive.com’s George Malik has been all over everything about what’s going on with the death of Probert, and I can tip my cap to him for virtually every thing that’s been said or found out about what happened yesterday.
One note that Malik does pass along is that Detroit’s WXYZ had a report stating there was something telling about the possible cause of death.
Per the evening news: WXYZ’s Don Shane confirms Probert had 90% blockage on left side of his heart and that caused a heart attack.
The catch with anyone in the media reporting this, as Malik notes in his update, is that the hospital won’t release the actual cause of death themselves and it’s up to the family if they want to release the information. A toxicology report will be run on Probert as well, but that will take up to a month to return results. That said, if it’s true that Probert’s heart was in such shape, death via heart attack is not at all surprising.
What makes this report even sadder still is that heart problems ran in Probert’s family as his father passed away at the age of 41 from a heart attack as the National Post finds out from Glen Schofield, a childhood friend of Probert’s.
“His dad passed away at about the same age,” he remembered. “Bob was 17. He buried him the day before he left for training camp in (Brantford of the Ontario Hockey League). … But his father knew he had been drafted that summer.”
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 13
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)