Jul 6, 2010, 7:52 PM EST
Windsor Regional Hospital in Ontario have found out that no foul play affected the death of former NHL enforcer Bob Probert. Mlive.com’s George Malik has been all over everything about what’s going on with the death of Probert, and I can tip my cap to him for virtually every thing that’s been said or found out about what happened yesterday.
One note that Malik does pass along is that Detroit’s WXYZ had a report stating there was something telling about the possible cause of death.
Per the evening news: WXYZ’s Don Shane confirms Probert had 90% blockage on left side of his heart and that caused a heart attack.
The catch with anyone in the media reporting this, as Malik notes in his update, is that the hospital won’t release the actual cause of death themselves and it’s up to the family if they want to release the information. A toxicology report will be run on Probert as well, but that will take up to a month to return results. That said, if it’s true that Probert’s heart was in such shape, death via heart attack is not at all surprising.
What makes this report even sadder still is that heart problems ran in Probert’s family as his father passed away at the age of 41 from a heart attack as the National Post finds out from Glen Schofield, a childhood friend of Probert’s.
“His dad passed away at about the same age,” he remembered. “Bob was 17. He buried him the day before he left for training camp in (Brantford of the Ontario Hockey League). … But his father knew he had been drafted that summer.”
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 0
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 74
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 20
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 30
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (76)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)