Jul 6, 2010, 7:52 PM EST
Windsor Regional Hospital in Ontario have found out that no foul play affected the death of former NHL enforcer Bob Probert. Mlive.com’s George Malik has been all over everything about what’s going on with the death of Probert, and I can tip my cap to him for virtually every thing that’s been said or found out about what happened yesterday.
One note that Malik does pass along is that Detroit’s WXYZ had a report stating there was something telling about the possible cause of death.
Per the evening news: WXYZ’s Don Shane confirms Probert had 90% blockage on left side of his heart and that caused a heart attack.
The catch with anyone in the media reporting this, as Malik notes in his update, is that the hospital won’t release the actual cause of death themselves and it’s up to the family if they want to release the information. A toxicology report will be run on Probert as well, but that will take up to a month to return results. That said, if it’s true that Probert’s heart was in such shape, death via heart attack is not at all surprising.
What makes this report even sadder still is that heart problems ran in Probert’s family as his father passed away at the age of 41 from a heart attack as the National Post finds out from Glen Schofield, a childhood friend of Probert’s.
“His dad passed away at about the same age,” he remembered. “Bob was 17. He buried him the day before he left for training camp in (Brantford of the Ontario Hockey League). … But his father knew he had been drafted that summer.”
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 9
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)