Jul 6, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
Almost immediately after seeing Landon Donovan’s extra time heart-stopper of a goal (which ultimately didn’t mean much), I couldn’t help but compare it to one of U.S. hockey’s more exciting moments (which ultimately didn’t mean much). It was more for the sake of experiment than anything else, but I couldn’t help but ask if Donovan’s goal was more exciting than the Zach Parise gold medal game goal that sent U.S.-Canada into overtime.
Now, before I show the results, each tally has an unfair advantage (so I guess they kind of cancel each other out? Maybe?).
This is Pro Hockey Talk, obviously, so Parise’s goal has the advantage of being both an exciting American sports moment and the plus of being hockey-related.
That being said, the poll was posted mere minutes after Donovan’s goal; very optimistic folks could have thought that would lead to many other victories. Also, the soccer/futbol moment just happened. I’m sure you’ve heard critiques of our temporary, wired, (insert other words out-of-touch people use to belittle youngsters) society, so immediacy gave Donovan’s goal a few edges.
Ultimately, it’s a pretty subjective – but in my opinion, still quite interesting – poll to take. So who won it? Well, it was close but … (click to enlarge)
Parise took it. I’m not sure what the main reasoning would be. Is because this is a hockey blog? Could it be that the goal – though not of the game winning variety – took place in a more important game?
Whatever the case may be, they’re two great memories for American sports fans, even if they didn’t result in championships. The fact that the U.S. qualified as big underdogs was both rare and exciting.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)