Jul 6, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
Almost immediately after seeing Landon Donovan’s extra time heart-stopper of a goal (which ultimately didn’t mean much), I couldn’t help but compare it to one of U.S. hockey’s more exciting moments (which ultimately didn’t mean much). It was more for the sake of experiment than anything else, but I couldn’t help but ask if Donovan’s goal was more exciting than the Zach Parise gold medal game goal that sent U.S.-Canada into overtime.
Now, before I show the results, each tally has an unfair advantage (so I guess they kind of cancel each other out? Maybe?).
This is Pro Hockey Talk, obviously, so Parise’s goal has the advantage of being both an exciting American sports moment and the plus of being hockey-related.
That being said, the poll was posted mere minutes after Donovan’s goal; very optimistic folks could have thought that would lead to many other victories. Also, the soccer/futbol moment just happened. I’m sure you’ve heard critiques of our temporary, wired, (insert other words out-of-touch people use to belittle youngsters) society, so immediacy gave Donovan’s goal a few edges.
Ultimately, it’s a pretty subjective – but in my opinion, still quite interesting – poll to take. So who won it? Well, it was close but … (click to enlarge)
Parise took it. I’m not sure what the main reasoning would be. Is because this is a hockey blog? Could it be that the goal – though not of the game winning variety – took place in a more important game?
Whatever the case may be, they’re two great memories for American sports fans, even if they didn’t result in championships. The fact that the U.S. qualified as big underdogs was both rare and exciting.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 22
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 42
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 65
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 46
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)