Jul 6, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
Almost immediately after seeing Landon Donovan’s extra time heart-stopper of a goal (which ultimately didn’t mean much), I couldn’t help but compare it to one of U.S. hockey’s more exciting moments (which ultimately didn’t mean much). It was more for the sake of experiment than anything else, but I couldn’t help but ask if Donovan’s goal was more exciting than the Zach Parise gold medal game goal that sent U.S.-Canada into overtime.
Now, before I show the results, each tally has an unfair advantage (so I guess they kind of cancel each other out? Maybe?).
This is Pro Hockey Talk, obviously, so Parise’s goal has the advantage of being both an exciting American sports moment and the plus of being hockey-related.
That being said, the poll was posted mere minutes after Donovan’s goal; very optimistic folks could have thought that would lead to many other victories. Also, the soccer/futbol moment just happened. I’m sure you’ve heard critiques of our temporary, wired, (insert other words out-of-touch people use to belittle youngsters) society, so immediacy gave Donovan’s goal a few edges.
Ultimately, it’s a pretty subjective – but in my opinion, still quite interesting – poll to take. So who won it? Well, it was close but … (click to enlarge)
Parise took it. I’m not sure what the main reasoning would be. Is because this is a hockey blog? Could it be that the goal – though not of the game winning variety – took place in a more important game?
Whatever the case may be, they’re two great memories for American sports fans, even if they didn’t result in championships. The fact that the U.S. qualified as big underdogs was both rare and exciting.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)