Jul 6, 2010, 12:04 AM EDT
A funny thing happened along the way in the courtship of Mike Modano to Hockeytown. Mike Modano decided to fly home to Michigan and just so happens to have a meeting scheduled with the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday afternoon. Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika spoke to Modano who spills the beans about his trip and has some sweet nothings for the Red Wings organization.
“It’s such an intriguing place,” he said of Detroit. “They want to win and they can win now. They have great players and a great system. They believe they can find a way for me to fit in. It’s flattering that they think I could help them, and I really want to see if that’s possible.”
Now I don’t want to read into a guy’s words too much here, but that’s an awful lot of admiration and respect coming from Mike Modano. After all, he’s only battled against the Red Wings for the last 20 years and even semi-recently got bounced out of the playoffs by the Red Wings back in 2009.
Is this meeting one with grand intentions? Well, obviously Modano wants to find out more about what the Wings want from him and in an era where e-mail, text messages and cell phones make things a lot easier to communicate, meeting face-to-face is certainly curious. The Chief over at Abel to Yzerman certainly suspects that something big is up.
I’ve been wrong, twice I think, in the last four years. So here goes again…he signs tomorrow. If not then, it’s only because the Wings are classy enough to delay it a day or two out of respect to Probie and his family.
Keep your eyes peeled here to see what develops, if anything, tomorrow with Mike Modano. If Ken Holland’s kind words from the other day are any indication, it’s that there’s mutual interest here. How he’ll fit in with the Red Wings remains to be seen if at all.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)