Jul 6, 2010, 12:04 AM EDT
A funny thing happened along the way in the courtship of Mike Modano to Hockeytown. Mike Modano decided to fly home to Michigan and just so happens to have a meeting scheduled with the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday afternoon. Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika spoke to Modano who spills the beans about his trip and has some sweet nothings for the Red Wings organization.
“It’s such an intriguing place,” he said of Detroit. “They want to win and they can win now. They have great players and a great system. They believe they can find a way for me to fit in. It’s flattering that they think I could help them, and I really want to see if that’s possible.”
Now I don’t want to read into a guy’s words too much here, but that’s an awful lot of admiration and respect coming from Mike Modano. After all, he’s only battled against the Red Wings for the last 20 years and even semi-recently got bounced out of the playoffs by the Red Wings back in 2009.
Is this meeting one with grand intentions? Well, obviously Modano wants to find out more about what the Wings want from him and in an era where e-mail, text messages and cell phones make things a lot easier to communicate, meeting face-to-face is certainly curious. The Chief over at Abel to Yzerman certainly suspects that something big is up.
I’ve been wrong, twice I think, in the last four years. So here goes again…he signs tomorrow. If not then, it’s only because the Wings are classy enough to delay it a day or two out of respect to Probie and his family.
Keep your eyes peeled here to see what develops, if anything, tomorrow with Mike Modano. If Ken Holland’s kind words from the other day are any indication, it’s that there’s mutual interest here. How he’ll fit in with the Red Wings remains to be seen if at all.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 0
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 19
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20