Jul 6, 2010, 12:04 AM EDT
A funny thing happened along the way in the courtship of Mike Modano to Hockeytown. Mike Modano decided to fly home to Michigan and just so happens to have a meeting scheduled with the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday afternoon. Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika spoke to Modano who spills the beans about his trip and has some sweet nothings for the Red Wings organization.
“It’s such an intriguing place,” he said of Detroit. “They want to win and they can win now. They have great players and a great system. They believe they can find a way for me to fit in. It’s flattering that they think I could help them, and I really want to see if that’s possible.”
Now I don’t want to read into a guy’s words too much here, but that’s an awful lot of admiration and respect coming from Mike Modano. After all, he’s only battled against the Red Wings for the last 20 years and even semi-recently got bounced out of the playoffs by the Red Wings back in 2009.
Is this meeting one with grand intentions? Well, obviously Modano wants to find out more about what the Wings want from him and in an era where e-mail, text messages and cell phones make things a lot easier to communicate, meeting face-to-face is certainly curious. The Chief over at Abel to Yzerman certainly suspects that something big is up.
I’ve been wrong, twice I think, in the last four years. So here goes again…he signs tomorrow. If not then, it’s only because the Wings are classy enough to delay it a day or two out of respect to Probie and his family.
Keep your eyes peeled here to see what develops, if anything, tomorrow with Mike Modano. If Ken Holland’s kind words from the other day are any indication, it’s that there’s mutual interest here. How he’ll fit in with the Red Wings remains to be seen if at all.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 13
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 48
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)