Jul 6, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
We don’t know if the Red Wings courtship of Mike Modano amuses you, saddens you or makes you want to hurl, but at the very least it’s provided a nice, heartwarming like a G-Rated movie kind of side show to the Ilya Kovalchuk circus of inaction that continues to go on. We mentioned last night that Modano was going to meet with Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch and general manager Ken Holland today and, as it turns out, that meeting turned into date night for a free agent future hall of famer.
Ilitch, Holland and Modano all took in this evenings Detroit Tigers game at Comerica Park and while there, Modano seemed to be even more impressed with Detroit than he was before, so much so that Chris McCosky gives us Modano’s rather surprising revelation.
Forget about the Blackhawks or any other NHL team. If Westland native Mike Modano decides he wants to play hockey next season, he is going play for the Red Wings.
“There isn’t any other team,” said Modano, standing outside Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch’s suite at Comerica Park Tuesday night. “It will be here or I’m not playing. I think it’s narrowed to that.”
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 0
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 3
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 34
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)