Jul 6, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
We don’t know if the Red Wings courtship of Mike Modano amuses you, saddens you or makes you want to hurl, but at the very least it’s provided a nice, heartwarming like a G-Rated movie kind of side show to the Ilya Kovalchuk circus of inaction that continues to go on. We mentioned last night that Modano was going to meet with Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch and general manager Ken Holland today and, as it turns out, that meeting turned into date night for a free agent future hall of famer.
Ilitch, Holland and Modano all took in this evenings Detroit Tigers game at Comerica Park and while there, Modano seemed to be even more impressed with Detroit than he was before, so much so that Chris McCosky gives us Modano’s rather surprising revelation.
Forget about the Blackhawks or any other NHL team. If Westland native Mike Modano decides he wants to play hockey next season, he is going play for the Red Wings.
“There isn’t any other team,” said Modano, standing outside Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch’s suite at Comerica Park Tuesday night. “It will be here or I’m not playing. I think it’s narrowed to that.”
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63