Jul 6, 2010, 9:32 PM EDT
We don’t know if the Red Wings courtship of Mike Modano amuses you, saddens you or makes you want to hurl, but at the very least it’s provided a nice, heartwarming like a G-Rated movie kind of side show to the Ilya Kovalchuk circus of inaction that continues to go on. We mentioned last night that Modano was going to meet with Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch and general manager Ken Holland today and, as it turns out, that meeting turned into date night for a free agent future hall of famer.
Ilitch, Holland and Modano all took in this evenings Detroit Tigers game at Comerica Park and while there, Modano seemed to be even more impressed with Detroit than he was before, so much so that Chris McCosky gives us Modano’s rather surprising revelation.
Forget about the Blackhawks or any other NHL team. If Westland native Mike Modano decides he wants to play hockey next season, he is going play for the Red Wings.
“There isn’t any other team,” said Modano, standing outside Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch’s suite at Comerica Park Tuesday night. “It will be here or I’m not playing. I think it’s narrowed to that.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)