Jul 6, 2010, 10:34 PM EDT
Capitals fans have been a bit anxious since the start of free agency on July 1. For some reason they feel troubled that their 121 point team has only lost some small-time players from their farm team and missed out on plenty of bloated free agent contracts to players that could’ve helped them out.
Don’t let it be said that Caps GM George McPhee doesn’t take care of his own first, however. The Washington Post’s Tarik El-Bashir tells us that Boyd Gordon will return to Washington next year.
Checking-line center Boyd Gordon has been re-signed to a one-year contract.
The deal is a one-way deal worth $800,000, which is up from the $761,250 he earned last season.
The Caps don’t have salary cap issues to deal with according to CapGeek.com but they do have some holes to fill, some of which are likely to come from within the organization, especially at defense. Youngsters John Carlson and Karl Alzner are likely to get a fair shot to be starters for the Capitals, but one position that could use a steady NHL-ready upgrade is their second line center.
Last year, Brendan Morrison was brought in to be that answer at pivot and instead he found himself being very hot and cold throughout the year. Now with Morrison a free agent, the Caps could stand to use someone else, and preferably for the Caps someone that isn’t past their heyday.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)