Jul 6, 2010, 10:34 PM EDT
Capitals fans have been a bit anxious since the start of free agency on July 1. For some reason they feel troubled that their 121 point team has only lost some small-time players from their farm team and missed out on plenty of bloated free agent contracts to players that could’ve helped them out.
Don’t let it be said that Caps GM George McPhee doesn’t take care of his own first, however. The Washington Post’s Tarik El-Bashir tells us that Boyd Gordon will return to Washington next year.
Checking-line center Boyd Gordon has been re-signed to a one-year contract.
The deal is a one-way deal worth $800,000, which is up from the $761,250 he earned last season.
The Caps don’t have salary cap issues to deal with according to CapGeek.com but they do have some holes to fill, some of which are likely to come from within the organization, especially at defense. Youngsters John Carlson and Karl Alzner are likely to get a fair shot to be starters for the Capitals, but one position that could use a steady NHL-ready upgrade is their second line center.
Last year, Brendan Morrison was brought in to be that answer at pivot and instead he found himself being very hot and cold throughout the year. Now with Morrison a free agent, the Caps could stand to use someone else, and preferably for the Caps someone that isn’t past their heyday.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)