Jul 6, 2010, 10:34 PM EST
Capitals fans have been a bit anxious since the start of free agency on July 1. For some reason they feel troubled that their 121 point team has only lost some small-time players from their farm team and missed out on plenty of bloated free agent contracts to players that could’ve helped them out.
Don’t let it be said that Caps GM George McPhee doesn’t take care of his own first, however. The Washington Post’s Tarik El-Bashir tells us that Boyd Gordon will return to Washington next year.
Checking-line center Boyd Gordon has been re-signed to a one-year contract.
The deal is a one-way deal worth $800,000, which is up from the $761,250 he earned last season.
The Caps don’t have salary cap issues to deal with according to CapGeek.com but they do have some holes to fill, some of which are likely to come from within the organization, especially at defense. Youngsters John Carlson and Karl Alzner are likely to get a fair shot to be starters for the Capitals, but one position that could use a steady NHL-ready upgrade is their second line center.
Last year, Brendan Morrison was brought in to be that answer at pivot and instead he found himself being very hot and cold throughout the year. Now with Morrison a free agent, the Caps could stand to use someone else, and preferably for the Caps someone that isn’t past their heyday.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)