Jul 6, 2010, 10:34 PM EDT
Capitals fans have been a bit anxious since the start of free agency on July 1. For some reason they feel troubled that their 121 point team has only lost some small-time players from their farm team and missed out on plenty of bloated free agent contracts to players that could’ve helped them out.
Don’t let it be said that Caps GM George McPhee doesn’t take care of his own first, however. The Washington Post’s Tarik El-Bashir tells us that Boyd Gordon will return to Washington next year.
Checking-line center Boyd Gordon has been re-signed to a one-year contract.
The deal is a one-way deal worth $800,000, which is up from the $761,250 he earned last season.
The Caps don’t have salary cap issues to deal with according to CapGeek.com but they do have some holes to fill, some of which are likely to come from within the organization, especially at defense. Youngsters John Carlson and Karl Alzner are likely to get a fair shot to be starters for the Capitals, but one position that could use a steady NHL-ready upgrade is their second line center.
Last year, Brendan Morrison was brought in to be that answer at pivot and instead he found himself being very hot and cold throughout the year. Now with Morrison a free agent, the Caps could stand to use someone else, and preferably for the Caps someone that isn’t past their heyday.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)