Jul 6, 2010, 10:34 PM EDT
Capitals fans have been a bit anxious since the start of free agency on July 1. For some reason they feel troubled that their 121 point team has only lost some small-time players from their farm team and missed out on plenty of bloated free agent contracts to players that could’ve helped them out.
Don’t let it be said that Caps GM George McPhee doesn’t take care of his own first, however. The Washington Post’s Tarik El-Bashir tells us that Boyd Gordon will return to Washington next year.
Checking-line center Boyd Gordon has been re-signed to a one-year contract.
The deal is a one-way deal worth $800,000, which is up from the $761,250 he earned last season.
The Caps don’t have salary cap issues to deal with according to CapGeek.com but they do have some holes to fill, some of which are likely to come from within the organization, especially at defense. Youngsters John Carlson and Karl Alzner are likely to get a fair shot to be starters for the Capitals, but one position that could use a steady NHL-ready upgrade is their second line center.
Last year, Brendan Morrison was brought in to be that answer at pivot and instead he found himself being very hot and cold throughout the year. Now with Morrison a free agent, the Caps could stand to use someone else, and preferably for the Caps someone that isn’t past their heyday.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)