Jul 6, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
To the chagrin of St. Louis copy editors and the benefit of their blueline, the Blues are reportedly on the verge of re-signing defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo to a two-year, $4.25 million deal. (Source: TSN.)
Colaiacovo, an unrestricted free agent, scored seven goals and 25 assists in his first full season with the Blues. He came over to St. Louis from the Toronto Maple Leafs along with Alexander Steen for Lee Stempniak in Nov. 2008.
The 27-year old just completed his seventh NHL campaign. He has posted 22 goals and 72 assists in 241 career games between Toronto and St. Louis.
He was originally Toronto’s first round pick (17th overall) in the 2001 draft.
Those 32 points are pretty promising when you consider the fact that they came in 67 games. That’s a little bit under a point every two games, so one can say that he put together a near-40-point pace last season.
Colaiacovo’s career has been marred by injuries and frustrations.
Playing in 67 games and a career-high 73 games during the 08-09 season seems like the best you can ask for, considering the fact that he only played more than half of a season once beyond those peak years (48 GP in 06-07).
He’s also a player who developed a bit of a reputation for making mistakes in his one end.
Still, a 30-to-40 point year is the mark of a solid, if unspectacular, offensive defenseman. The St. Louis Blues have bigger fish to fry in restricted free agency (see: former No.1 draft pick Erik Johnson, David Perron and Montreal Canadiens playoff hero Jaroslav Halak), but Colaiacovo seems like he might be able to stick in St. Louis.
Now, if he could just develop some immunity to that injury bug …
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)