Jul 6, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
To the chagrin of St. Louis copy editors and the benefit of their blueline, the Blues are reportedly on the verge of re-signing defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo to a two-year, $4.25 million deal. (Source: TSN.)
Colaiacovo, an unrestricted free agent, scored seven goals and 25 assists in his first full season with the Blues. He came over to St. Louis from the Toronto Maple Leafs along with Alexander Steen for Lee Stempniak in Nov. 2008.
The 27-year old just completed his seventh NHL campaign. He has posted 22 goals and 72 assists in 241 career games between Toronto and St. Louis.
He was originally Toronto’s first round pick (17th overall) in the 2001 draft.
Those 32 points are pretty promising when you consider the fact that they came in 67 games. That’s a little bit under a point every two games, so one can say that he put together a near-40-point pace last season.
Colaiacovo’s career has been marred by injuries and frustrations.
Playing in 67 games and a career-high 73 games during the 08-09 season seems like the best you can ask for, considering the fact that he only played more than half of a season once beyond those peak years (48 GP in 06-07).
He’s also a player who developed a bit of a reputation for making mistakes in his one end.
Still, a 30-to-40 point year is the mark of a solid, if unspectacular, offensive defenseman. The St. Louis Blues have bigger fish to fry in restricted free agency (see: former No.1 draft pick Erik Johnson, David Perron and Montreal Canadiens playoff hero Jaroslav Halak), but Colaiacovo seems like he might be able to stick in St. Louis.
Now, if he could just develop some immunity to that injury bug …
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)