Jul 6, 2010, 1:40 PM EST
To the chagrin of St. Louis copy editors and the benefit of their blueline, the Blues are reportedly on the verge of re-signing defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo to a two-year, $4.25 million deal. (Source: TSN.)
Colaiacovo, an unrestricted free agent, scored seven goals and 25 assists in his first full season with the Blues. He came over to St. Louis from the Toronto Maple Leafs along with Alexander Steen for Lee Stempniak in Nov. 2008.
The 27-year old just completed his seventh NHL campaign. He has posted 22 goals and 72 assists in 241 career games between Toronto and St. Louis.
He was originally Toronto’s first round pick (17th overall) in the 2001 draft.
Those 32 points are pretty promising when you consider the fact that they came in 67 games. That’s a little bit under a point every two games, so one can say that he put together a near-40-point pace last season.
Colaiacovo’s career has been marred by injuries and frustrations.
Playing in 67 games and a career-high 73 games during the 08-09 season seems like the best you can ask for, considering the fact that he only played more than half of a season once beyond those peak years (48 GP in 06-07).
He’s also a player who developed a bit of a reputation for making mistakes in his one end.
Still, a 30-to-40 point year is the mark of a solid, if unspectacular, offensive defenseman. The St. Louis Blues have bigger fish to fry in restricted free agency (see: former No.1 draft pick Erik Johnson, David Perron and Montreal Canadiens playoff hero Jaroslav Halak), but Colaiacovo seems like he might be able to stick in St. Louis.
Now, if he could just develop some immunity to that injury bug …
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 1
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 7
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 9
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 60
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)