Bob Probert dies at age 45

Jul 5, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT

probert.jpgSad news out of Windsor, Ontario: George Malik reports that former tough guy Bob Probert died at the age of 45 today. The Windsor Star has some details on the unfortunate situation.

Former NHL forward Bob Probert has been rushed to hospital after collapsing in a boat on Lake St. Clair Monday afternoon, AM800 CKLW is reporting.

Emergency crews performed CPR on the former Red Wings player on shore and transported the 45-year-old to Windsor Regional Hospital.

CKLW (the radio station that broke the news) confirmed that the memorable pugilist from the ’80s died.

Probert spent nine seasons with the Detroit Red Wings and seven with the Chicago Blackhawks, earning 3,300 penalty minutes to go along with 163 goals and 384 points in his 16-year career. Probert was such a popular player that he actually appeared in the 1988 All-Star game.

He had his fair share of off-ice antics, but he’ll be remembered as a fearsome fighter and a beloved hockey player from that era. Our thoughts are with his friends and family.

1. jetpuck73 - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM

We will miss you Bobby!!!!!

2. Snipes - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Wow. One of the best fighters (if not the best) has passed at only 45? Im going to guess heart condition but either way this is horrible news.
    Prayers to the Proberts.

3. wingsluver4ever - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:32 PM

RIP Probie…one of the toughest to wear the winged wheel. Ditto on prayers to his family and friends.

4. Kevin - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM

A fighter who also didn’t disappoint when it came to skill. Long live #24

5. Anonymous - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM

We will never forget one of the best bruise brothers!

6. Brad - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Without a doubt the greatest enforcer of all time and a pretty darn good player to boot. He was one of my favourite players from hockey’s greatest era.
    RIP Probie.

7. Hunter - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

RIP Bob
    Never got to see him play live, but from all the youtube footage I’ve seen of him over the years … ouch, is all I gotta say.

8. Mark - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Wow, this is really sad. Without a doubt, he was the best fighter in the history of the NHL.

9. nikkig - Jul 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Omg what a shock! He’s one of the most memorible hockey players for me.My heart goes out to his family.

10. puckcrazy - Jul 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Sad day for hockey.Sure he had a few problems off the ice but he came to play every night.He was one meanSOB and many feared him.RIP Mr. Probert.

11. Francis Louis Charbonneau Jr. Grosse Pointe Farms, MI - Jul 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Bob Probert for better or worse was a rogue but a guy with a heart. Hockey was his life. This is tragic news for both the Chicago Blackhawks and the Detroit Redwings and the National Hockey League. Too young to die, but his fiery spirit has imbued those in the game of hockey that give it their all…May God bless his soul and let perpetual light shine upon him.

12. Hough Family - Jul 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Here’s to one of the best brawlers the league ever had. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. May he always be remembered for the good things he did.

13. SWOOSH24 - Jul 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM

One of the toughest SOB’s this sport or any sport ever seen…..Toughest BlackHawk since Keith Magnusan….RIP Probby and may God Bless your soul.

14. LORI - Jul 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I JUST FINISHED MY RED WINGS ROOM ON SATURDAY. 4 AUTOGRAPHED PICS OF PROBIE ON MY WALL. I WILL MISS THE BIG HEART OF THE MAN. WE HAVEN’T SEEN HIS FISTS IN AWHILE BUT I REMEMBER. HE IS AWESOME. HIS FAMILY WILL BE IN PRAYERS. TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER

15. Sean - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Stevie-Y had the greatest heavy weight on his side to stick up for him. I would have given anything to be his friend or teammate. Now God has the greatest Heavy Weight Enforcer to police the heavens. Bobbie, as I shed a tear for you I just want you and your family to know that you will be painfully missed. God bless ya buddy and the rest of the Probert family.

16. Sean - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM

17. Al Secord - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM

RIP BOB. One of the toughest ever if not THE toughest. I put him and Dave Brown at the top which was at the time they played was when the leauge was tough unlike the game today.

18. Lance C. - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:30 PM

He lived with my family for a while when he played junior A. I spoke with him for quite some time at an NHL Alumni event this past winter. I am in shock. Not only one of the meanest SOB’s to ever play, but a big softy with a heart of gold.
    RIP “Brickhead”.

19. bobprobert - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM

truly sad news. probert was always my favorite Wing growing up. the fights he had with domi were legendary. he will certainly be missed

20. Jess - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM

It really is a sad day for hockey fans we will always remember you Probs.

21. Peter Thomson - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM

This pleases me greatly.

22. Peter - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Rest in Peace Probie… we’ll miss you ol #24.

23. susan - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Very sad news. He was a awsome hockey player, an a nice guy all around. He will be missed by alot of fans.

24. Anonymous - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM

what do u mean by that comment?

25. J. Casper - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Can you explain how this pleases you greatly?

26. goober526 - Jul 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Probert was always my favourite. I loved watching him play and loved watching him fight. Especially when he was with Kocur and Klima. God bless him and his family. Especially his children.

27. Anonymous - Jul 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

as I am sure your children/parents would be if this happened to you as well? What a stupid thing to say about a man who just died-what is wrong with you?

28. Deno - Jul 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I was at the game when he came back from his suspension, he forced his way through the Northstars defense and slamed the puck into the net. It was one of the greatest memories I will always have of Bob Probert. The fans went wild!!! He is the only Redwing that was as tough as Goride Howe. RIP

29. thesby - Jul 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM

a very tough hockey who was a goon on the ice.glad he played for my hawks.r.i.p bob!

30. Anonymous - Jul 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Why anyone would make such a ridiculous comment about a man who just died is beyond me.
    You are a moron Peter.

31. Wally - Jul 6, 2010 at 2:10 AM

As a Red Wings hater I always hated seeing Probert on the ice. But this is very sad, such a young man still and now gone. I hope his family will find some small bit of comfort knowing how many people enjoyed seeing him play for so many years. He will not be quickly forgotten.

32. Mark - Jul 6, 2010 at 3:57 AM

Dude, a man is dead and this pleases you? I was never a Wings fan nor a Probert fan and I am not a fan of fighting in hockey. However, I respect the man for doing a job he was being paid to do and he’s a human being that died at the young age of 45! My heart goes out to his family and friends and I hope he’s with God in heaven! May he Rest In Peace!! Have some respect for the departed!!!

33. cazman - Jul 6, 2010 at 7:54 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out the Probert family at this terrible time. I really enjoyed watching number 24 play and I loved watching Proby fight, the way he would get a hold of the other guy with his left hand and keep him at arms length and let the other guy swing for awhile and then he would say to himself okay that’s enough and he would throw a couple of rights and that would be the end of it. RIP Bobby

34. Denny - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Loved him or hated him, you had to respect Bob Probert.
    He was the kind of a player you’d love to have on your team but hate to play against. Sorry to hear of his passing.

35. stratovani - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Check out the fight on YouTube between Probie and Marty McSorley (when McSorley was with the Penguins). Definitely one of the best fights in NHL history between two of the best fighters around. At the end Probie gently taps McSorley as if to say, “Great fight, Marty! I enjoyed it!”. Heaven’s hockey team just got a lot tougher today! RIP Bob.

36. HereComeDaHawks - Jul 6, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I hope you die an untimely death and leave a wife and kids. Classless man

37. Wendy - Jul 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM

What about Ted?

38. Josef Stalin - Jul 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM

My prayers go out to his family on this tragedy.

39. Anonymous - Jul 13, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Sean:
    That is one CLASS commentary you’ve posted.
    Not only we RW fans, but all of hockey will miss his presence.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D