Jul 5, 2010, 5:20 PM EST
Sad news out of Windsor, Ontario: George Malik reports that former tough guy Bob Probert died at the age of 45 today. The Windsor Star has some details on the unfortunate situation.
Former NHL forward Bob Probert has been rushed to hospital after collapsing in a boat on Lake St. Clair Monday afternoon, AM800 CKLW is reporting.
Emergency crews performed CPR on the former Red Wings player on shore and transported the 45-year-old to Windsor Regional Hospital.
CKLW (the radio station that broke the news) confirmed that the memorable pugilist from the ’80s died.
Probert spent nine seasons with the Detroit Red Wings and seven with the Chicago Blackhawks, earning 3,300 penalty minutes to go along with 163 goals and 384 points in his 16-year career. Probert was such a popular player that he actually appeared in the 1988 All-Star game.
He had his fair share of off-ice antics, but he’ll be remembered as a fearsome fighter and a beloved hockey player from that era. Our thoughts are with his friends and family.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)