Jul 5, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
In an article of the English-translated version of Russia’s Sport Express, Ilya Kovalchuk’s Russia-based agent says he is negotiating with SKA St, Petersburg of the Kontintental Hockey League, but also admits it’s more likely that the unrestricted free agent left wing remains in the NHL.
“To my mind, NHL stands better chances to get Kovalchuk, but if my mission finishes successfully, KHL will be undoubted favorite,” agent Yuriy Nikolaev told Sport Express.
Nikolaev said that he has no information on Kovalchuk’s negotiations with teams in the NHL, which are being handled by Jay Grossman.
“I don’t have information about situation in NHL and I am not ready to comment on it”, Nikolaev said. “I know that several NHL clubs hold talks with Ilya’s agents in NHL.”
I find it odd that Kovalchuk employs an American and Russian agent (especially if they indeed aren’t always on the same page). Then again, this entire negotiation process has been pretty strange, anyway, so this just adds another later of weirdness to what is becoming an increasingly protracted period of contract talks.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)