Jul 5, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
In an article of the English-translated version of Russia’s Sport Express, Ilya Kovalchuk’s Russia-based agent says he is negotiating with SKA St, Petersburg of the Kontintental Hockey League, but also admits it’s more likely that the unrestricted free agent left wing remains in the NHL.
“To my mind, NHL stands better chances to get Kovalchuk, but if my mission finishes successfully, KHL will be undoubted favorite,” agent Yuriy Nikolaev told Sport Express.
Nikolaev said that he has no information on Kovalchuk’s negotiations with teams in the NHL, which are being handled by Jay Grossman.
“I don’t have information about situation in NHL and I am not ready to comment on it”, Nikolaev said. “I know that several NHL clubs hold talks with Ilya’s agents in NHL.”
I find it odd that Kovalchuk employs an American and Russian agent (especially if they indeed aren’t always on the same page). Then again, this entire negotiation process has been pretty strange, anyway, so this just adds another later of weirdness to what is becoming an increasingly protracted period of contract talks.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)