Jul 5, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
In an article of the English-translated version of Russia’s Sport Express, Ilya Kovalchuk’s Russia-based agent says he is negotiating with SKA St, Petersburg of the Kontintental Hockey League, but also admits it’s more likely that the unrestricted free agent left wing remains in the NHL.
“To my mind, NHL stands better chances to get Kovalchuk, but if my mission finishes successfully, KHL will be undoubted favorite,” agent Yuriy Nikolaev told Sport Express.
Nikolaev said that he has no information on Kovalchuk’s negotiations with teams in the NHL, which are being handled by Jay Grossman.
“I don’t have information about situation in NHL and I am not ready to comment on it”, Nikolaev said. “I know that several NHL clubs hold talks with Ilya’s agents in NHL.”
I find it odd that Kovalchuk employs an American and Russian agent (especially if they indeed aren’t always on the same page). Then again, this entire negotiation process has been pretty strange, anyway, so this just adds another later of weirdness to what is becoming an increasingly protracted period of contract talks.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)