Jul 5, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Here are a few quick hits from around the league.
- Ilya Kovalchuk’s (American) agent Jay Grossman says that the Russian winger is looking to make his decision today. That’s good news, because my l, y, and k keys have been getting an unusual amount of exercise lately.
(Seriously, though, I don’t know about you … but I’m ready for this story to come to a conclusion. You know, so we can criticize the deal.)
- Pierre LeBrun says that the Boston Bruins and Zdeno Chara have entered preliminary talks on a contract extension. The super-tall Slovakian defenseman’s contract ends after the 2010-11 season and could very well be one of the more interesting storylines next summer if the Bruins can’t sign him.
- Kris Versteeg might not be a Chicago Blackhawk any longer but that doesn’t change the fact that he still received his day with the Cup. Versteeg celebrated by playing a street hockey game with his neighborhood friends, a lot like Sidney Crosby and one would assume many other NHL players did during their day with Lord Stanley’s Cup.
The past twenty-four hours have been a whirlwind for Versteeg. The Cup arrived Saturday afternoon, and has toured the city ever since.
Versteeg has fond memories of the games they played on the street, but in those days, there were no fans, no NHL jerseys and no cups, real or fake.
Wearing a Blackhawks jersey for the final time, he scored one last goal, and let out one last trademark celebration.
His defence of the Cup fell short…he lost the game, but after the handshakes and one quick photo, they’ve all won, because the childhood dream is realized.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)