Jul 5, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Sports fans all have their worst nightmare scenarios, particularly when it comes to a great, long-time player suiting up for a hated rival. It would be like Wayne Gretzky wearing a Calgary Flames sweater or Mario Lemieux skating for the Philadelphia Flyers. Some things just seem wrong.
So Dallas Stars fans must be at least a little horrified by the concept of Mike Modano – the face of their franchise – finishing his career wearing the Winged Wheel in Detroit. Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas shares the Red Wings’ courtship of their former rival’s star.
“They’re selling it pretty hard,” Modano said. “Having a team like Detroit really interested in me is flattering. I could have some fun playing with some great players and a great organization. There’s a lot of upside to it. But for me, I need to figure out in my head what I want to do.”
It seemed like Modano had the perfect send-off in Dallas (and Minnesota), but it’s his right to choose when he retires. Watching him play for the Red Wings would be painful for Stars fans, but in sports, sometimes you have to accept such disturbing visions.
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 0
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 1
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2