Jul 5, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Sports fans all have their worst nightmare scenarios, particularly when it comes to a great, long-time player suiting up for a hated rival. It would be like Wayne Gretzky wearing a Calgary Flames sweater or Mario Lemieux skating for the Philadelphia Flyers. Some things just seem wrong.
So Dallas Stars fans must be at least a little horrified by the concept of Mike Modano – the face of their franchise – finishing his career wearing the Winged Wheel in Detroit. Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas shares the Red Wings’ courtship of their former rival’s star.
“They’re selling it pretty hard,” Modano said. “Having a team like Detroit really interested in me is flattering. I could have some fun playing with some great players and a great organization. There’s a lot of upside to it. But for me, I need to figure out in my head what I want to do.”
It seemed like Modano had the perfect send-off in Dallas (and Minnesota), but it’s his right to choose when he retires. Watching him play for the Red Wings would be painful for Stars fans, but in sports, sometimes you have to accept such disturbing visions.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)