Jul 5, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Sports fans all have their worst nightmare scenarios, particularly when it comes to a great, long-time player suiting up for a hated rival. It would be like Wayne Gretzky wearing a Calgary Flames sweater or Mario Lemieux skating for the Philadelphia Flyers. Some things just seem wrong.
So Dallas Stars fans must be at least a little horrified by the concept of Mike Modano – the face of their franchise – finishing his career wearing the Winged Wheel in Detroit. Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas shares the Red Wings’ courtship of their former rival’s star.
“They’re selling it pretty hard,” Modano said. “Having a team like Detroit really interested in me is flattering. I could have some fun playing with some great players and a great organization. There’s a lot of upside to it. But for me, I need to figure out in my head what I want to do.”
It seemed like Modano had the perfect send-off in Dallas (and Minnesota), but it’s his right to choose when he retires. Watching him play for the Red Wings would be painful for Stars fans, but in sports, sometimes you have to accept such disturbing visions.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 10
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 24
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)