Jul 5, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
Could it be that the biggest “mover and shaker” in free agency this year is a team that doesn’t even play in the NHL?
It seems like the KHL team SKA St. Petersburg might end up making a big splash or two, at least if rumored negotiations turn into confirmed signings. Last night I shared reports the KHL team – owned by league president Alexander Medvedev – was looking into signing wayward free agent Ilya Kovalchuk. If Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov is correct, the team might also want to sign the other big-ticket Russian free agent, Evgeni Nabokov.
KHL’s President Medvedev confirmed that his club SKA is negotiating with Evgeni Nabokov.
I have to admit, while others have scrambled to try to find NHL partners for Kovalchuk and Nabokov, the KHL kept creeping up as a money-first beacon for both players. On one hand, it’s a bit lame to see two high-end players retreat to a lesser league for a few extra bucks. The thing is, that might end up being a few extra million bucks, especially when you consider the fact that KHL players tend to deal with less tax-related headaches.
Besides, there aren’t many goalie spots open for Nabokov. I’d say he has more of an excuse to leave the NHL than Kovalchuk, especially since Nabokov (34 going on 35) is quite a bit older than Kovalchuk (27).
Keep in mind, though, that even if there is some legitimacy to the negotiations, both Nabokov and Kovalchuk could simply be using the rival league to try to pump up their values in the NHL. We’ll keep you updated as these contract talks grow from rumors to league-altering realities.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20