Jul 5, 2010, 10:46 PM EST
The NHLPA announced today that 31 players have opted to go for salary arbitration with their clubs. While players and their teams can still negotiate for a new contract, if things reach the stage where an arbitration hearing is needed to settle things out, things can get ugly. At arbitration, teams present cases against the player to tell why they should pay them what they believe their worth is.
The list of players looks like this:
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Los Angeles Kings
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
There are some potentially interesting cases here. The main one involves Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi, a case we analyzed here earlier today.
Others involve NHL plus-minus leader Jeff Schultz from Washington, Atlanta’s newly acquired duo from Chicago in Andrew Ladd and Ben Eager, Boston’s enigmatic winger Blake Wheeler, Dallas’ bust-like Finnish import Fabian Brunnstrom, and the ever curious case of Philly’s Daniel Carcillo. I’d enjoy being a fly on the wall for an arbitration hearings involving Carcillo and Brunnstrom as hearing their teams arguing against them would be popcorn-bringing-worthy events.
Teams have a deadline for Club-Elected Salary Arbitration of July 6th, tomorrow, at 5:00 p.m. EDT. Hearings will be held in Toronto from July 20 to August 4.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)