Jul 5, 2010, 10:46 PM EDT
The NHLPA announced today that 31 players have opted to go for salary arbitration with their clubs. While players and their teams can still negotiate for a new contract, if things reach the stage where an arbitration hearing is needed to settle things out, things can get ugly. At arbitration, teams present cases against the player to tell why they should pay them what they believe their worth is.
The list of players looks like this:
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Los Angeles Kings
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
There are some potentially interesting cases here. The main one involves Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi, a case we analyzed here earlier today.
Others involve NHL plus-minus leader Jeff Schultz from Washington, Atlanta’s newly acquired duo from Chicago in Andrew Ladd and Ben Eager, Boston’s enigmatic winger Blake Wheeler, Dallas’ bust-like Finnish import Fabian Brunnstrom, and the ever curious case of Philly’s Daniel Carcillo. I’d enjoy being a fly on the wall for an arbitration hearings involving Carcillo and Brunnstrom as hearing their teams arguing against them would be popcorn-bringing-worthy events.
Teams have a deadline for Club-Elected Salary Arbitration of July 6th, tomorrow, at 5:00 p.m. EDT. Hearings will be held in Toronto from July 20 to August 4.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)