Jul 5, 2010, 10:46 PM EDT
The NHLPA announced today that 31 players have opted to go for salary arbitration with their clubs. While players and their teams can still negotiate for a new contract, if things reach the stage where an arbitration hearing is needed to settle things out, things can get ugly. At arbitration, teams present cases against the player to tell why they should pay them what they believe their worth is.
The list of players looks like this:
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Los Angeles Kings
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
There are some potentially interesting cases here. The main one involves Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi, a case we analyzed here earlier today.
Others involve NHL plus-minus leader Jeff Schultz from Washington, Atlanta’s newly acquired duo from Chicago in Andrew Ladd and Ben Eager, Boston’s enigmatic winger Blake Wheeler, Dallas’ bust-like Finnish import Fabian Brunnstrom, and the ever curious case of Philly’s Daniel Carcillo. I’d enjoy being a fly on the wall for an arbitration hearings involving Carcillo and Brunnstrom as hearing their teams arguing against them would be popcorn-bringing-worthy events.
Teams have a deadline for Club-Elected Salary Arbitration of July 6th, tomorrow, at 5:00 p.m. EDT. Hearings will be held in Toronto from July 20 to August 4.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)