Jul 4, 2010, 11:30 PM EST
The Russian newspaper Sport-Express reports that Ilya Kovalchuk may be close to signing with a KHL team, according to a Tweet by Alexander Zaitsev of Russian Hockey Fans.com.
Sport-Express is reporting that SKA has offered Kovalchuk a $36m/4-year contract. Kovy wants $40m. If SKA gives him $40m he will sign soon
That’s not the type of offer that would be unthinkable among some of the NHL teams, though. While a $9-10 million annual salary/cap hit is a bit much for the Russian winger, the shorter term would allow his pursuer a little more piece of mind. It makes you wonder what kind of offer the Kings actually sent his way.
Keep in mind this is only a rumor, though. It’s quite possible that he’ll end up in the NHL after all.
If he ends up signing with SKA, however, the KHL would have its answer to Bobby Hull signing with the WHA way back when.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)