Jul 4, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
The Russian newspaper Sport-Express reports that Ilya Kovalchuk may be close to signing with a KHL team, according to a Tweet by Alexander Zaitsev of Russian Hockey Fans.com.
Sport-Express is reporting that SKA has offered Kovalchuk a $36m/4-year contract. Kovy wants $40m. If SKA gives him $40m he will sign soon
That’s not the type of offer that would be unthinkable among some of the NHL teams, though. While a $9-10 million annual salary/cap hit is a bit much for the Russian winger, the shorter term would allow his pursuer a little more piece of mind. It makes you wonder what kind of offer the Kings actually sent his way.
Keep in mind this is only a rumor, though. It’s quite possible that he’ll end up in the NHL after all.
If he ends up signing with SKA, however, the KHL would have its answer to Bobby Hull signing with the WHA way back when.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control