Jul 4, 2010, 2:49 PM EST
While Mike Modano won’t be going back to Dallas to play for the Stars, it appears he’s content to sit back and wait for teams to sort their situations out before getting antsy to sign somewhere else. The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika caught up with Modano to find out where he’s at while he’s searching for new employment on the ice.
Mike Modano has had his best conversations so far with Detroit, but neither side is ready to commit yet.
Modano said he is going to be patient, and said that as free agency shakes out, the picture will become more clear.
“It all came back in a rush, really,” he said. “I really have been through this before, so it’s not that new. There’s a lot more texting now, but you still just try to ask questions and answer what they want. It’s a lot of waiting around, that’s the tough part.”
As of now, Detroit is the only team to express any interest in Modano and being a Livonia, Michigan native probably has as much to do with that as it does with Modano still being a serviceable centerman even at 40 years-old. Modano being patient during free agency may have more to do with a lack of interest than it does anything else. As for what Wings GM Ken Holland thinks of Modano, his words are kind and honest as well.
“He’s a local boy, a (future) Hall of Famer, yeah, I’m interested,” Holland said. “We’ve had good success through the years in getting the most out of players that are nearing the end.”
Modano is likely only looking for a simple, one-year contract just to keep playing and he’d likely fit in well with what Detroit does on the ice and the Wings surely don’t shy away from veterans. That said, Detroit has to take care of some of their restricted free agents first and then shuffle things around if they’re going to bring in Modano. If he’s willing to wait that out, it could take some time before he settles in there. Until then, perhaps another suitor may come out of the woodwork that could more easily fit Modano into their plans.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 7
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 7
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 21
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)