Jul 4, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
While Mike Modano won’t be going back to Dallas to play for the Stars, it appears he’s content to sit back and wait for teams to sort their situations out before getting antsy to sign somewhere else. The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika caught up with Modano to find out where he’s at while he’s searching for new employment on the ice.
Mike Modano has had his best conversations so far with Detroit, but neither side is ready to commit yet.
Modano said he is going to be patient, and said that as free agency shakes out, the picture will become more clear.
“It all came back in a rush, really,” he said. “I really have been through this before, so it’s not that new. There’s a lot more texting now, but you still just try to ask questions and answer what they want. It’s a lot of waiting around, that’s the tough part.”
As of now, Detroit is the only team to express any interest in Modano and being a Livonia, Michigan native probably has as much to do with that as it does with Modano still being a serviceable centerman even at 40 years-old. Modano being patient during free agency may have more to do with a lack of interest than it does anything else. As for what Wings GM Ken Holland thinks of Modano, his words are kind and honest as well.
“He’s a local boy, a (future) Hall of Famer, yeah, I’m interested,” Holland said. “We’ve had good success through the years in getting the most out of players that are nearing the end.”
Modano is likely only looking for a simple, one-year contract just to keep playing and he’d likely fit in well with what Detroit does on the ice and the Wings surely don’t shy away from veterans. That said, Detroit has to take care of some of their restricted free agents first and then shuffle things around if they’re going to bring in Modano. If he’s willing to wait that out, it could take some time before he settles in there. Until then, perhaps another suitor may come out of the woodwork that could more easily fit Modano into their plans.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 5
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12