Jul 4, 2010, 5:17 PM EST
Earlier today, we shared with you a report about how the Flyers and Avalanche were surprise bidders for the services of Ilya Kovalchuk. As it turns out, at least half of that report from Russian tabloid Life Sport was just mistakenly translated. Tom Gulitti from Fire & Ice clears up the mess for us.
On the website Gazeta.ru. Kovalchuk’s Russia-based agent, Yury Nikolaev, denied he said that the Philadlephia Flyers put in a bid for Kovalchuk.
“I never said this,” Nikolaev is quoted as saying in the in the translated English version of Gazeta.ru.
In fact, Nikolaev said he is not involved at all in Kovalchuk’s contract negotiations in North America. “This is the task (of) my Western associates,” Nikolaev said,
Nikolaev does represent Kovalchuk in Russia and is talking to the Kontinental Hockey League on his behalf. He would not predict whether Kovalchuk will sign in the NHL or Russia.
This helps clear up a lot of things about that initial report that began making its way around both about Kovalchuk’s interest and other team’s interest in him as well as about who, exactly, is handling things with him. Safe to say, that unless we’re hearing something from Kovalchuk’s agent in North America, Jay Grossman, we can probably toss it aside as idle and potentially erroneous speculation.
With Adrian Dater of the Denver Post having shot down the supposed interest by the Avalanche in Kovalchuk, it’s perhaps safe to say we’re back to just three known interested in teams for the services of Ilya Kovalchuk. In the meantime, perhaps the Fourth of July weekend should give us a bit of respite from wild rumors. Maybe.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 24
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 60
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)