Jul 3, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Oilers sign Alexandre Giroux: Well, he has a good last name …
Hawks, Bruins and Leafs smacked down by salary cap penalties: Yet, somehow, Vince McMahon was nowhere to be seen.
Souray clears waivers, goes nowhere: Apparently no one wants to pay $5.4 million for an injury prone, over-the-hill defenseman. But he’s handsome!*
*So I’ve been told.
Discussing the reasons why the Calgary Flames signed Olli Jokinen: Somehow, Darryl Sutter never turned to the Chewbacca defense. (Some NSFW language there, BTW.)
Penguins sign Brett Sterling: If the Penguins go by a “rent-a-winger” system, then I guess Sterling comes at a Red Box price.
Should someone sign a deal with Satan?: I just couldn’t help but use that headline.
Finally, a 2011 potential unrestricted free agent blowout.
The forwards, headlined by Joe Thornton.
The defensemen, most notably Zdeno Chara.
And the solid pool of goalies, featuring Ilya Bryzgalov.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)