Jul 3, 2010, 3:25 PM EDT
This may come as a shock to many of you out there, but it appears that the 29 other teams in the NHL had no interest in picking up defenseman Sheldon Souray off of waivers.
Souray is in the midst of a five-year contract with Edmonton that runs through the 2011-12 season. The no-trade clause on the deal has expired.
“I understand the business side of things and I hope things work out for both the Oilers and for myself,” Souray told TSN on Friday when he was first placed on waivers.
After all, a guy who’s coming off a season which saw him miss time for both a concussion and a broken hand and has a cap hit of $5.4 million over the next two years can’t be considered a steal by anyone. Had this move occurred during the regular season, you could bank on Souray being sent down to the AHL and then Edmonton rolling the dice on bringing him back up through recall waivers to see if anyone would take a chance on him and have Edmonton end up paying for it. Instead, the Oilers are just stuck with a very expensive player they’re trying to help get out of town.
“Maybe it accelerates some action here. This is the time of year where (teams) do have some roster spots open, some cap space available. We would thought we would explore this opportunity to see if we could make something happen,” general manager Steve Tambellini told the club’s radio rights holder.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 20
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 21
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments