Jul 3, 2010, 3:25 PM EST
This may come as a shock to many of you out there, but it appears that the 29 other teams in the NHL had no interest in picking up defenseman Sheldon Souray off of waivers.
Souray is in the midst of a five-year contract with Edmonton that runs through the 2011-12 season. The no-trade clause on the deal has expired.
“I understand the business side of things and I hope things work out for both the Oilers and for myself,” Souray told TSN on Friday when he was first placed on waivers.
After all, a guy who’s coming off a season which saw him miss time for both a concussion and a broken hand and has a cap hit of $5.4 million over the next two years can’t be considered a steal by anyone. Had this move occurred during the regular season, you could bank on Souray being sent down to the AHL and then Edmonton rolling the dice on bringing him back up through recall waivers to see if anyone would take a chance on him and have Edmonton end up paying for it. Instead, the Oilers are just stuck with a very expensive player they’re trying to help get out of town.
“Maybe it accelerates some action here. This is the time of year where (teams) do have some roster spots open, some cap space available. We would thought we would explore this opportunity to see if we could make something happen,” general manager Steve Tambellini told the club’s radio rights holder.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)