Jul 3, 2010, 3:25 PM EDT
This may come as a shock to many of you out there, but it appears that the 29 other teams in the NHL had no interest in picking up defenseman Sheldon Souray off of waivers.
Souray is in the midst of a five-year contract with Edmonton that runs through the 2011-12 season. The no-trade clause on the deal has expired.
“I understand the business side of things and I hope things work out for both the Oilers and for myself,” Souray told TSN on Friday when he was first placed on waivers.
After all, a guy who’s coming off a season which saw him miss time for both a concussion and a broken hand and has a cap hit of $5.4 million over the next two years can’t be considered a steal by anyone. Had this move occurred during the regular season, you could bank on Souray being sent down to the AHL and then Edmonton rolling the dice on bringing him back up through recall waivers to see if anyone would take a chance on him and have Edmonton end up paying for it. Instead, the Oilers are just stuck with a very expensive player they’re trying to help get out of town.
“Maybe it accelerates some action here. This is the time of year where (teams) do have some roster spots open, some cap space available. We would thought we would explore this opportunity to see if we could make something happen,” general manager Steve Tambellini told the club’s radio rights holder.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)