Jul 3, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
It’s not likely to be a deal to find its way on to most of your radars, but Capitals fans who embraced their AHL farm team, the Hershey Bears, are likely snacking on a Hershey bar with a single tear today as the Edmonton Oilers signed away one of the Bears top scorers.
General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with free agent left-winger Alexandre Giroux on a one-year contract.
Giroux, 29, spent most of the season last year with the Hershey Bears in the American Hockey League collecting 103 points (50G, 50A) in 69 games. He also suited up for nine games with the Washington Capitals scoring once and adding two assists.
Don’t worry if you’re not too familiar with Giroux at all as he’s only played in 31 career NHL games. If you’re a big follower of the AHL, however, you should be very familiar with him by now as he’s put up some ridiculous numbers throughout his AHL career. His scoring totals last year are impressive, sure, but two seasons ago for the Bears he scored 60 goals and had 97 points in 69 games and has been a consistent 30+ goals per season guy for the last five years.
So how does a player like this do so well in the AHL and not get a sniff of anything in the NHL? If nothing else, it provides the line of demarcation to show how much of a difference there is between the level of play between the majors and the minors. For the Oilers though, it’s worth it to take a chance on Giroux. If he pans out and finds an ability to score in the NHL, they’ve got an incredible bargain at $500,000. If not, they send him to their AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City and the fans there instantly have someone they’ll be rooting for to score, and boy will he ever score.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)