Jul 3, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins decided to go for expensive defense over pricey wingers this summer. While I’m not sure Paul Martin is really a $5 million per year blueliner, I think Penguins GM Ray Shero went in a wiser direction given the superior supply of D-men and the shallow pool of UFA forwards.
That being said, someone needs to have the chance to hit the goal-scoring lottery by skating alongside Sidney Crosby and/or Evgeni Malkin.
It’s unclear that Brett Sterling could be the latest beneficiary, considering the fact that he’s a player who barely managed to play at the NHL level (19 GP with the Atlanta Thrashers, none last season). Still, he might get the chance, as the Penguins signed him to a two-way, one-year contract worth $500K if he sticks with the big club.
If he manages to stay at that level, the Penguins will have about $1.6 million in cap space with 13 forwards, six defensemen and two goalies under contract. That should cover 21 of 23 roster spots, so this doesn’t necessarily mean their moves are over. The team could probably still use a depth defenseman and maybe one more “rent-a-winger” since Sterling is far from a sure thing to even make the roster.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)