Jul 3, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins decided to go for expensive defense over pricey wingers this summer. While I’m not sure Paul Martin is really a $5 million per year blueliner, I think Penguins GM Ray Shero went in a wiser direction given the superior supply of D-men and the shallow pool of UFA forwards.
That being said, someone needs to have the chance to hit the goal-scoring lottery by skating alongside Sidney Crosby and/or Evgeni Malkin.
It’s unclear that Brett Sterling could be the latest beneficiary, considering the fact that he’s a player who barely managed to play at the NHL level (19 GP with the Atlanta Thrashers, none last season). Still, he might get the chance, as the Penguins signed him to a two-way, one-year contract worth $500K if he sticks with the big club.
If he manages to stay at that level, the Penguins will have about $1.6 million in cap space with 13 forwards, six defensemen and two goalies under contract. That should cover 21 of 23 roster spots, so this doesn’t necessarily mean their moves are over. The team could probably still use a depth defenseman and maybe one more “rent-a-winger” since Sterling is far from a sure thing to even make the roster.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3