Jul 3, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins decided to go for expensive defense over pricey wingers this summer. While I’m not sure Paul Martin is really a $5 million per year blueliner, I think Penguins GM Ray Shero went in a wiser direction given the superior supply of D-men and the shallow pool of UFA forwards.
That being said, someone needs to have the chance to hit the goal-scoring lottery by skating alongside Sidney Crosby and/or Evgeni Malkin.
It’s unclear that Brett Sterling could be the latest beneficiary, considering the fact that he’s a player who barely managed to play at the NHL level (19 GP with the Atlanta Thrashers, none last season). Still, he might get the chance, as the Penguins signed him to a two-way, one-year contract worth $500K if he sticks with the big club.
If he manages to stay at that level, the Penguins will have about $1.6 million in cap space with 13 forwards, six defensemen and two goalies under contract. That should cover 21 of 23 roster spots, so this doesn’t necessarily mean their moves are over. The team could probably still use a depth defenseman and maybe one more “rent-a-winger” since Sterling is far from a sure thing to even make the roster.
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 5
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)