Jul 2, 2010, 6:51 PM EDT
While it looks like the Philadelphia Flyers might have a bit of a cap crunch to deal with, it appears that one potential piece of the puzzle to help free up some money could be had as John Shannon from Sportsnet shared via Twitter.
Sources confirm…Simon Gagne asked to waive his No Trade clause today….no trade pending.
Asking a player to waive their no-trade clause is always the first step towards being able to make a bigger move and now folks in Philadelphia and anywhere a team might need a scoring winger can start to speculate. The biggest roadblock for moving Gagne, however, is his $5.25 million contract and his history of concussions. While Gagne’s only got one more year left on his deal, his ability to stay healthy could scare a lot of teams off that don’t want to run the risk of adding such a large amount of salary and potentially see it go to waste on an often injured, yet very skilled, forward.
For the Flyers, this announcement isn’t too surprising as come 2011-2012 Gagne, Claude Giroux, Jeff Carter and Ville Leino will all be due new contracts with all of those guys likely due to get a raise. With Gagne having the better goal-scoring track record and easier ability for the Flyers to unload (seemingly) it makes sense. Both Giroux and Leino emerged as big time scorers in the playoffs and Jeff Carter is a guy the Flyers have been reticent to move regardless of how many rumors his name pops up in. The one thing this bit of news does say, however, is that the Flyers are seemingly set on making sure Jeff Carter stays in Philadelphia.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)