Jul 2, 2010, 6:51 PM EDT
While it looks like the Philadelphia Flyers might have a bit of a cap crunch to deal with, it appears that one potential piece of the puzzle to help free up some money could be had as John Shannon from Sportsnet shared via Twitter.
Sources confirm…Simon Gagne asked to waive his No Trade clause today….no trade pending.
Asking a player to waive their no-trade clause is always the first step towards being able to make a bigger move and now folks in Philadelphia and anywhere a team might need a scoring winger can start to speculate. The biggest roadblock for moving Gagne, however, is his $5.25 million contract and his history of concussions. While Gagne’s only got one more year left on his deal, his ability to stay healthy could scare a lot of teams off that don’t want to run the risk of adding such a large amount of salary and potentially see it go to waste on an often injured, yet very skilled, forward.
For the Flyers, this announcement isn’t too surprising as come 2011-2012 Gagne, Claude Giroux, Jeff Carter and Ville Leino will all be due new contracts with all of those guys likely due to get a raise. With Gagne having the better goal-scoring track record and easier ability for the Flyers to unload (seemingly) it makes sense. Both Giroux and Leino emerged as big time scorers in the playoffs and Jeff Carter is a guy the Flyers have been reticent to move regardless of how many rumors his name pops up in. The one thing this bit of news does say, however, is that the Flyers are seemingly set on making sure Jeff Carter stays in Philadelphia.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47