Jul 2, 2010, 6:51 PM EDT
While it looks like the Philadelphia Flyers might have a bit of a cap crunch to deal with, it appears that one potential piece of the puzzle to help free up some money could be had as John Shannon from Sportsnet shared via Twitter.
Sources confirm…Simon Gagne asked to waive his No Trade clause today….no trade pending.
Asking a player to waive their no-trade clause is always the first step towards being able to make a bigger move and now folks in Philadelphia and anywhere a team might need a scoring winger can start to speculate. The biggest roadblock for moving Gagne, however, is his $5.25 million contract and his history of concussions. While Gagne’s only got one more year left on his deal, his ability to stay healthy could scare a lot of teams off that don’t want to run the risk of adding such a large amount of salary and potentially see it go to waste on an often injured, yet very skilled, forward.
For the Flyers, this announcement isn’t too surprising as come 2011-2012 Gagne, Claude Giroux, Jeff Carter and Ville Leino will all be due new contracts with all of those guys likely due to get a raise. With Gagne having the better goal-scoring track record and easier ability for the Flyers to unload (seemingly) it makes sense. Both Giroux and Leino emerged as big time scorers in the playoffs and Jeff Carter is a guy the Flyers have been reticent to move regardless of how many rumors his name pops up in. The one thing this bit of news does say, however, is that the Flyers are seemingly set on making sure Jeff Carter stays in Philadelphia.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 43
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M