Jul 2, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
A year after Dany Heatley forced a trade out of Ottawa – but only to the teams he wanted to play for – it looked like disgruntled center Jason Spezza might follow a similar path. After all, Senators fans booed the talented but defensively questionable forward during the team’s first round loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins in this year’s playoffs.
While the real story might be that no one really wanted to sacrifice a piece or two for Spezza, it seems like the playmaker will be a part of the team going into the 2010-11 season. Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports that Senators GM Bryan Murray claims that Spezza will be staying put.
While the Senators centre told GM Bryan Murray he wouldn’t “object” to being dealt, the Senators couldn’t find any dance partners before Spezza’s “no move” clause kicked in at midnight Thursday.
He certainly won’t be traded after Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk stroked a cheque for a $4-million bonus owed to Spezza.
Murray said he studied the market for Spezza and a deal that made sense.
“Throw cold water on it,” said Murray. “As of today, there’s nothing happening with Jason Spezza other than he’s a member of the Ottawa Senators. We have had conversations leading up to (Thursday).
“I understand his frustration. I do. He’s a player that has really good talent and he wants to be on a winning hockey team. He was frustrated at the end of the year because the finger was pointed a little too much at him and maybe also the fact we didn’t beat Pittsburgh in the first round.
“As of right now, my thoughts are going forward.”
General managers are often quick to shoot down rumors – even if there secretly were talks on the subject in question – so it’s surprising that Murray has been so candid about the process. Such a stance implies (to me, anyway) that Spezza is still on the market in many ways.
That being said, the rumor mill regarding the potent passer should die down. For a little while, at least.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)