Jul 2, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
A year after Dany Heatley forced a trade out of Ottawa – but only to the teams he wanted to play for – it looked like disgruntled center Jason Spezza might follow a similar path. After all, Senators fans booed the talented but defensively questionable forward during the team’s first round loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins in this year’s playoffs.
While the real story might be that no one really wanted to sacrifice a piece or two for Spezza, it seems like the playmaker will be a part of the team going into the 2010-11 season. Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports that Senators GM Bryan Murray claims that Spezza will be staying put.
While the Senators centre told GM Bryan Murray he wouldn’t “object” to being dealt, the Senators couldn’t find any dance partners before Spezza’s “no move” clause kicked in at midnight Thursday.
He certainly won’t be traded after Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk stroked a cheque for a $4-million bonus owed to Spezza.
Murray said he studied the market for Spezza and a deal that made sense.
“Throw cold water on it,” said Murray. “As of today, there’s nothing happening with Jason Spezza other than he’s a member of the Ottawa Senators. We have had conversations leading up to (Thursday).
“I understand his frustration. I do. He’s a player that has really good talent and he wants to be on a winning hockey team. He was frustrated at the end of the year because the finger was pointed a little too much at him and maybe also the fact we didn’t beat Pittsburgh in the first round.
“As of right now, my thoughts are going forward.”
General managers are often quick to shoot down rumors – even if there secretly were talks on the subject in question – so it’s surprising that Murray has been so candid about the process. Such a stance implies (to me, anyway) that Spezza is still on the market in many ways.
That being said, the rumor mill regarding the potent passer should die down. For a little while, at least.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)