Jul 2, 2010, 5:11 PM EDT
You know it’s a shallow pool of forwards when Matthew Lombardi is one of the most promising candidates, but that is the case this summer. The Nashville Predators signed Lombardi to deal for three years, $10.5 million according to Pierre LeBrun.
Lombardi’s speed and two-way play have always been there, but last year seemed like a potential breakthrough season. He managed to put up a career-high 53 points in 09-10, playing particularly well once he was traded to the Phoenix Coyotes. Lombardi put up a near-point-per-game pace in the desert, scoring five goals and 11 assists for 16 points in 19 games.
Though he reached a career high last year, he’s been a pretty stable guy in the 40+ point range for some time now, but it’s his speed and smarts that make him a valuable player.
He received the same contract as Matt Cullen did in Minnesota. If I had to choose between paying Lombardi $3.5 million per year or doing the same with Cullen, I’d take my chances with Lombardi. He should be a great fit for the offense-starved but always defense-first Nashville Predators. They need to make every free agent signing count and if I had to guess, they nailed it right here.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)