Jul 2, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
New GM Dale Tallon continues to show that the Florida Panthers are looking to be an aggressive team in free agency, trades and the draft. While Chris Higgins is far from a big impact player, the three-time 20-plus goal scorer could come cheap. Kevin Allen of USA Today reports that the speedy, two-way winger will sign a one-year, $1.6 million deal to join the intriguing new Panthers.
The Panthers are building a frugal, interesting group of offensive players (even if they’re far from elite.) The highest paid forward on the team is the promising – yet concussion riddled – power forward David Booth at a reasonable annual rate of $4.25 million.
Higgins won’t set the hockey world on fire, but a cheap one-year deal looks like a wise choice. The Panthers now have 13 forwards, five defensemen and two goalies on their roster if you include Higgins. It’s doubtful the team would want to spend to the cap, but they still have $13.7 million left.
Could they be a feasible location for a team needing to make a salary dump? It’s unlikely many player with no-trade clauses would want to be a part of the rebuilding process in Sunrise, but guys without such luxuries might make sense.
It’s very early to judge Tallon’s work, but so far, it’s looking like he’s making some strong moves.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)