Jul 2, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s been a day of team building for GM Garth Snow and the New York Islanders. Earlier, it was announced that he signed Mark Eaton to a two-year contract and now Alan Walsh reports that the team inked defenseman Milan Jurcina and forward PA Parenteau to one-year contracts.
Jurcina is a big defenseman (6’4″, 236 lbs.) who spent the majority of his last few seasons with the Washington Capitals. He’ll provide the Islanders with a large presence on the blueline.
PA Parenteau spent most of his career in the minors after being a ninth-round pick by the Anaheim Ducks in 2001. He finally saw semi-regular playing time with the New York Rangers this year, putting up three goals and five assists in 22 games.
Breaking: The Islanders are also set to add the 2009-10 regular season leader in fighting majors, Zenon Konopka, according to Katie Strang. Konopka earned a league-leading 265 penalty minutes thanks largely to 33 fights while scoring two goals and three assists in 74 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The Islanders haven’t added anyone even approaching “star” status, but each move has a purpose. When you consider the fact that the Flyers added Jody Shelley and the Rangers overpaid wildly for Derek “The Boogeyman” Boogaard, the Atlantic division might need to be re-named the “heavyweight” division.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 21
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)