Jul 2, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s been a day of team building for GM Garth Snow and the New York Islanders. Earlier, it was announced that he signed Mark Eaton to a two-year contract and now Alan Walsh reports that the team inked defenseman Milan Jurcina and forward PA Parenteau to one-year contracts.
Jurcina is a big defenseman (6’4″, 236 lbs.) who spent the majority of his last few seasons with the Washington Capitals. He’ll provide the Islanders with a large presence on the blueline.
PA Parenteau spent most of his career in the minors after being a ninth-round pick by the Anaheim Ducks in 2001. He finally saw semi-regular playing time with the New York Rangers this year, putting up three goals and five assists in 22 games.
Breaking: The Islanders are also set to add the 2009-10 regular season leader in fighting majors, Zenon Konopka, according to Katie Strang. Konopka earned a league-leading 265 penalty minutes thanks largely to 33 fights while scoring two goals and three assists in 74 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The Islanders haven’t added anyone even approaching “star” status, but each move has a purpose. When you consider the fact that the Flyers added Jody Shelley and the Rangers overpaid wildly for Derek “The Boogeyman” Boogaard, the Atlantic division might need to be re-named the “heavyweight” division.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 0
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)