Jul 2, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s been a day of team building for GM Garth Snow and the New York Islanders. Earlier, it was announced that he signed Mark Eaton to a two-year contract and now Alan Walsh reports that the team inked defenseman Milan Jurcina and forward PA Parenteau to one-year contracts.
Jurcina is a big defenseman (6’4″, 236 lbs.) who spent the majority of his last few seasons with the Washington Capitals. He’ll provide the Islanders with a large presence on the blueline.
PA Parenteau spent most of his career in the minors after being a ninth-round pick by the Anaheim Ducks in 2001. He finally saw semi-regular playing time with the New York Rangers this year, putting up three goals and five assists in 22 games.
Breaking: The Islanders are also set to add the 2009-10 regular season leader in fighting majors, Zenon Konopka, according to Katie Strang. Konopka earned a league-leading 265 penalty minutes thanks largely to 33 fights while scoring two goals and three assists in 74 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The Islanders haven’t added anyone even approaching “star” status, but each move has a purpose. When you consider the fact that the Flyers added Jody Shelley and the Rangers overpaid wildly for Derek “The Boogeyman” Boogaard, the Atlantic division might need to be re-named the “heavyweight” division.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 30
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 15
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement