Jul 2, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s been a day of team building for GM Garth Snow and the New York Islanders. Earlier, it was announced that he signed Mark Eaton to a two-year contract and now Alan Walsh reports that the team inked defenseman Milan Jurcina and forward PA Parenteau to one-year contracts.
Jurcina is a big defenseman (6’4″, 236 lbs.) who spent the majority of his last few seasons with the Washington Capitals. He’ll provide the Islanders with a large presence on the blueline.
PA Parenteau spent most of his career in the minors after being a ninth-round pick by the Anaheim Ducks in 2001. He finally saw semi-regular playing time with the New York Rangers this year, putting up three goals and five assists in 22 games.
Breaking: The Islanders are also set to add the 2009-10 regular season leader in fighting majors, Zenon Konopka, according to Katie Strang. Konopka earned a league-leading 265 penalty minutes thanks largely to 33 fights while scoring two goals and three assists in 74 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The Islanders haven’t added anyone even approaching “star” status, but each move has a purpose. When you consider the fact that the Flyers added Jody Shelley and the Rangers overpaid wildly for Derek “The Boogeyman” Boogaard, the Atlantic division might need to be re-named the “heavyweight” division.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)