Jul 2, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s been a day of team building for GM Garth Snow and the New York Islanders. Earlier, it was announced that he signed Mark Eaton to a two-year contract and now Alan Walsh reports that the team inked defenseman Milan Jurcina and forward PA Parenteau to one-year contracts.
Jurcina is a big defenseman (6’4″, 236 lbs.) who spent the majority of his last few seasons with the Washington Capitals. He’ll provide the Islanders with a large presence on the blueline.
PA Parenteau spent most of his career in the minors after being a ninth-round pick by the Anaheim Ducks in 2001. He finally saw semi-regular playing time with the New York Rangers this year, putting up three goals and five assists in 22 games.
Breaking: The Islanders are also set to add the 2009-10 regular season leader in fighting majors, Zenon Konopka, according to Katie Strang. Konopka earned a league-leading 265 penalty minutes thanks largely to 33 fights while scoring two goals and three assists in 74 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The Islanders haven’t added anyone even approaching “star” status, but each move has a purpose. When you consider the fact that the Flyers added Jody Shelley and the Rangers overpaid wildly for Derek “The Boogeyman” Boogaard, the Atlantic division might need to be re-named the “heavyweight” division.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)