Jul 2, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
The New York Islanders are reportedly on the verge of signing former Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton to a two-year, $5 million contract according to Nick Kypreos.
The 32-year-old defenseman produced his best career point output last season, scoring 16 in 79 games for the Penguins. He brings a decent mixture of defensive-minded play and occasional flourishes of offense to the table.
Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to “make it” to the table very often during most of his pro career. He played less than half of the season in the 06-07 and 07-08 campaigns and only played more than 70 games twice in his career. He’s never played a full 82 game season in his NHL career.
Overall, it’s a slightly expensive deal for the Islanders, but it might be a while before GM Garth Snow can get away with signing players below market value. It will take the occasional overpayment (or a leap of faith on a reclamation project here and there) to lure hockey players to Long Island, especially considering the lowly stature of Nassau Coliseum.
It’s a decent baby step for the Islanders, a team trying to improve incrementally while its bigger brothers in the Atlantic division keep landing big-time players. Will the slow-but-steady approach work? Maybe, maybe not, but the Islanders really don’t have any other choice.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)