Jul 2, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
The New York Islanders are reportedly on the verge of signing former Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton to a two-year, $5 million contract according to Nick Kypreos.
The 32-year-old defenseman produced his best career point output last season, scoring 16 in 79 games for the Penguins. He brings a decent mixture of defensive-minded play and occasional flourishes of offense to the table.
Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to “make it” to the table very often during most of his pro career. He played less than half of the season in the 06-07 and 07-08 campaigns and only played more than 70 games twice in his career. He’s never played a full 82 game season in his NHL career.
Overall, it’s a slightly expensive deal for the Islanders, but it might be a while before GM Garth Snow can get away with signing players below market value. It will take the occasional overpayment (or a leap of faith on a reclamation project here and there) to lure hockey players to Long Island, especially considering the lowly stature of Nassau Coliseum.
It’s a decent baby step for the Islanders, a team trying to improve incrementally while its bigger brothers in the Atlantic division keep landing big-time players. Will the slow-but-steady approach work? Maybe, maybe not, but the Islanders really don’t have any other choice.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)