Jul 2, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
The New York Islanders are reportedly on the verge of signing former Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton to a two-year, $5 million contract according to Nick Kypreos.
The 32-year-old defenseman produced his best career point output last season, scoring 16 in 79 games for the Penguins. He brings a decent mixture of defensive-minded play and occasional flourishes of offense to the table.
Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to “make it” to the table very often during most of his pro career. He played less than half of the season in the 06-07 and 07-08 campaigns and only played more than 70 games twice in his career. He’s never played a full 82 game season in his NHL career.
Overall, it’s a slightly expensive deal for the Islanders, but it might be a while before GM Garth Snow can get away with signing players below market value. It will take the occasional overpayment (or a leap of faith on a reclamation project here and there) to lure hockey players to Long Island, especially considering the lowly stature of Nassau Coliseum.
It’s a decent baby step for the Islanders, a team trying to improve incrementally while its bigger brothers in the Atlantic division keep landing big-time players. Will the slow-but-steady approach work? Maybe, maybe not, but the Islanders really don’t have any other choice.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 55
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal