Jul 1, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
For some reason, I just assumed that the New Jersey Devils would re-sign Paul Martin. The team and the blueliner seemed tethered together because New Jersey is a little shallow in its own end while Martin never really lit up the world from a scoring standpoint.
Then again, GM Lou Lamoriello is also known for letting players leave through free agency if he they end up asking for deals that are a little too rich for his blood. It’s not clear if Martin and the team are far apart on money or what, but I haven’t heard many things about the steady blueliner staying with his team.
You never know, Martin could end up going back to Newark after dipping his toe in the free agent pool. Still, it’s unclear if the Devils even sent as much as an offer his way. Could the team be primed to shoot for a Sergei Gonchar or Dan Hamhuis-type splash?
Stay tuned for a bumpy (and fun) ride today.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)