Jul 1, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
For some reason, I just assumed that the New Jersey Devils would re-sign Paul Martin. The team and the blueliner seemed tethered together because New Jersey is a little shallow in its own end while Martin never really lit up the world from a scoring standpoint.
Then again, GM Lou Lamoriello is also known for letting players leave through free agency if he they end up asking for deals that are a little too rich for his blood. It’s not clear if Martin and the team are far apart on money or what, but I haven’t heard many things about the steady blueliner staying with his team.
You never know, Martin could end up going back to Newark after dipping his toe in the free agent pool. Still, it’s unclear if the Devils even sent as much as an offer his way. Could the team be primed to shoot for a Sergei Gonchar or Dan Hamhuis-type splash?
Stay tuned for a bumpy (and fun) ride today.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)