Jul 1, 2010, 1:11 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins lost Sergei Gonchar, and apparently couldn’t offer Paul Martin the money he wanted.
Instead, the Penguins pick up perhaps the most underrated defenseman on the market this summer as they sign Zbynek Michalek for five years and $20 million.
It’s a great deal for Michalek and the Penguins, who pick up a great defenseman with great potential, for much less than would have been required to sign Martin or Gonchar.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 87
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 38
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 72
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7