Jul 1, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis looks like he’ll be a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning for five more years.
New GM Steve Yzerman is making some nice moves today, ridding the team of an excessive contract in Andrej Meszaros and now inking the pint-sized St. Louis to a four-year contract extension. The four-year deal is worth $22.5 million according to James Duthie, which makes it a $5.5 million annual cap hit.
While the “face” of the franchise has been Vincent Lecavalier, St. Louis has been the heart, soul and … guts. He produces year after year, including winning a Hart Trophy in their anomalous Stanley Cup winning season. He also found great chemistry with Steven Stamkos this season, producing a 94-point season while often skating alongside the young co-winner of the Maurice Richard Trophy.
There are pluses and minuses to this extension.
On the good side, St. Louis clearly still has his fastball right now. If he could even maintain his pre-Stamkos pace of about 80 points per season, $5.5 million is a steal. (Not to mention the fact that he appears to be a great character guy.)
The downside of the deal is that he’s already 35 years old. If St. Louis fades toward the end of the term, the contract could come back to haunt the Lightning.
Overall, though, I think it’s a good move that signals the Lightning will take care of its best players. Chances are Stamkos will be more likely to sign a contract extension with the team now that he knows his favorite co-pilot will be around for a while.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (81)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games