Jul 1, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Just moments ago, I expressed shock that the Philadelphia Flyers signed Jody Shelley for more than $1 million per year. Perhaps the New York Rangers and Glen Sather felt left out of the mockery, as the team signed Derek “The Boogeyman” Boogaard to a dopey four-year deal worth $1.65 million per season according to Larry Brooks.
So much for all my thoughts on the fall of the enforcer, although is it really fair to gauge the league based on Sather’s moves? After all, this is the man who gave Wade Redden $6.5 million per year after he struggled in a contract year (let’s not even get started on Bobby Holik).
Boogaard is on the ice for one reason and one reason only, so why pay him so much to do so little?
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 14
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)