Jul 1, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Just moments ago, I expressed shock that the Philadelphia Flyers signed Jody Shelley for more than $1 million per year. Perhaps the New York Rangers and Glen Sather felt left out of the mockery, as the team signed Derek “The Boogeyman” Boogaard to a dopey four-year deal worth $1.65 million per season according to Larry Brooks.
So much for all my thoughts on the fall of the enforcer, although is it really fair to gauge the league based on Sather’s moves? After all, this is the man who gave Wade Redden $6.5 million per year after he struggled in a contract year (let’s not even get started on Bobby Holik).
Boogaard is on the ice for one reason and one reason only, so why pay him so much to do so little?
- Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)