Jul 1, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
Just moments ago, I expressed shock that the Philadelphia Flyers signed Jody Shelley for more than $1 million per year. Perhaps the New York Rangers and Glen Sather felt left out of the mockery, as the team signed Derek “The Boogeyman” Boogaard to a dopey four-year deal worth $1.65 million per season according to Larry Brooks.
So much for all my thoughts on the fall of the enforcer, although is it really fair to gauge the league based on Sather’s moves? After all, this is the man who gave Wade Redden $6.5 million per year after he struggled in a contract year (let’s not even get started on Bobby Holik).
Boogaard is on the ice for one reason and one reason only, so why pay him so much to do so little?
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 11
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11