Jul 1, 2010, 2:34 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and GM Ray Shero have done what many thought impossible: upgrade on defense despite losing Sergei Gonchar.
We don’t have the financial terms just yet, but ESPN and multiple sources have reported that the Pittsburgh Penguins have signed Paul Martin, right after signing Zbynek Michalek.
[Update:] Martin signed a five-year, $25 million contract, which is right around what we expected after Gonchar signed with Ottawa.
So now the Penguins have signed two of the top four defensemen on the open market today, and they have definitely upgraded on the blueline now.
It doesn’t even really depend on exactly what the financials for Martin are, as at his age his of much better long-term value than Gonchar. The Penguins have improved on defense and will once again be a dangerous team next season. The Penguins will be a bit tight against the cap again, but it looks like they have their team for season just about ready to go.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 66
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 6
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination