Jul 1, 2010, 12:56 PM EST
With the Pittsburgh Penguins losing Sergei Gonchar to the Senators, the talk has now heated up with the Pens becoming interested in defenseman Paul Martin.
Martin was unable to re-sign with the Devils and is now on the open market. You wonder just how much the Penguins would be willing to give Martin, however, as they seemed unwilling to make a big commitment to Gonchar.
Of course, Martin is just a bit younger than Gonchar — who’s had some injury issues of his own lately. The Penguins would likely be much more willing to give Martin the money that Gonchar wanted, for more years, especially considering Martin’s age and potential.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)