Jul 1, 2010, 4:21 PM EDT
Kurtis Foster went from a sad story to an impressive comeback player over the last few years. The Edmonton Oilers will reward him with a bit of security. They signed the once-hobbled defenseman to a two year, $3.6 million deal today, according to sources including ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
When you consider all the big deals being thrown around for defensive players today, I think that this is a solid gamble. Critics will point out that Foster is still only a year or so removed from being a big health question mark. He broke his femur while tagging up for an icing and some wondered if he’d be back in the league. Yet when it comes to lower-tier free agents, it’s hard to find any players who don’t have a few flaws.
While he’s not the steadiest guy in his own end, Foster put up an impressive 42-point season in Tampa Bay. You have to wonder if this is a sign that Sheldon Souray is on his way out of Edmonton, considering the fact that Foster also has a booming slap shot from the point.
He might not be a shutdown defenseman, but with Ryan Whitney, Tom Gilbert, Foster and perhaps Souray, the Oilers could have a nice group of point producing defensemen. Sure, they might be mostly useless in their own end, but Edmonton will take what they can get at this point.
Kudos to Foster for turning his career around after some dark times.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)