Jul 1, 2010, 3:52 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils lost Paul Martin to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but gained one of the more underrated defensemen on the market by signing Henrik Tallinder to a four-year contract worth $3.375 million per season.
Tallinder was part of the solid Buffalo Sabres blue line last season, and has played his entire career in Buffalo. He’s far from an offensive guru, but he is a very solid and dependable shut down defenseman that should fit perfectly in the Devils’ system.
With Tallinder now signed, the stakes are raising for Dan Hamhuis as more and more teams get in on his negotiations.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36