Jul 1, 2010, 3:52 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils lost Paul Martin to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but gained one of the more underrated defensemen on the market by signing Henrik Tallinder to a four-year contract worth $3.375 million per season.
Tallinder was part of the solid Buffalo Sabres blue line last season, and has played his entire career in Buffalo. He’s far from an offensive guru, but he is a very solid and dependable shut down defenseman that should fit perfectly in the Devils’ system.
With Tallinder now signed, the stakes are raising for Dan Hamhuis as more and more teams get in on his negotiations.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 0
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7