Jul 1, 2010, 2:26 PM EST
We are now just about two and half hours into free agency and the two biggest names on the goaltender market are still available.
Martin Biron, Antero Nittymaki, Alex Auld and now Dan Ellis have all signed with four of the teams that seriously needed goaltenders. That leaves Evgeni Nabokov and Marty Turco on the outside looking in, and the teams still in need of starting goaltenders has drastically diminished in numbers.
Philadelphia is still a possibility for either of the two, although with all of the signings Philadelphia has made today they don’t have much room for a big goaltender without making another trade. Besides, I’m hearing Chris Mason is a better possibility than Turco or Nabokov in Philadelphia.
What seems to be the case, especially considering the financials of the deals handed to goaltenders so far, is the Nabokov and Turco are likely asking for way too much money. Look for either to sign a one-year contract if they can’t get the deal they want, and there’s still the Washington Capitals out there.
Right now, however, it seems that Turco and Nabokov will have to settle for a backup goaltender job, and there’s always the chance that Nabokov heads on over to the KHL.
Could Turco deal with being a backup goaltender?
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)