Jul 1, 2010, 2:26 PM EST
We are now just about two and half hours into free agency and the two biggest names on the goaltender market are still available.
Martin Biron, Antero Nittymaki, Alex Auld and now Dan Ellis have all signed with four of the teams that seriously needed goaltenders. That leaves Evgeni Nabokov and Marty Turco on the outside looking in, and the teams still in need of starting goaltenders has drastically diminished in numbers.
Philadelphia is still a possibility for either of the two, although with all of the signings Philadelphia has made today they don’t have much room for a big goaltender without making another trade. Besides, I’m hearing Chris Mason is a better possibility than Turco or Nabokov in Philadelphia.
What seems to be the case, especially considering the financials of the deals handed to goaltenders so far, is the Nabokov and Turco are likely asking for way too much money. Look for either to sign a one-year contract if they can’t get the deal they want, and there’s still the Washington Capitals out there.
Right now, however, it seems that Turco and Nabokov will have to settle for a backup goaltender job, and there’s always the chance that Nabokov heads on over to the KHL.
Could Turco deal with being a backup goaltender?
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)