Jul 1, 2010, 2:26 PM EST
We are now just about two and half hours into free agency and the two biggest names on the goaltender market are still available.
Martin Biron, Antero Nittymaki, Alex Auld and now Dan Ellis have all signed with four of the teams that seriously needed goaltenders. That leaves Evgeni Nabokov and Marty Turco on the outside looking in, and the teams still in need of starting goaltenders has drastically diminished in numbers.
Philadelphia is still a possibility for either of the two, although with all of the signings Philadelphia has made today they don’t have much room for a big goaltender without making another trade. Besides, I’m hearing Chris Mason is a better possibility than Turco or Nabokov in Philadelphia.
What seems to be the case, especially considering the financials of the deals handed to goaltenders so far, is the Nabokov and Turco are likely asking for way too much money. Look for either to sign a one-year contract if they can’t get the deal they want, and there’s still the Washington Capitals out there.
Right now, however, it seems that Turco and Nabokov will have to settle for a backup goaltender job, and there’s always the chance that Nabokov heads on over to the KHL.
Could Turco deal with being a backup goaltender?
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)