Jul 1, 2010, 2:26 PM EDT
We are now just about two and half hours into free agency and the two biggest names on the goaltender market are still available.
Martin Biron, Antero Nittymaki, Alex Auld and now Dan Ellis have all signed with four of the teams that seriously needed goaltenders. That leaves Evgeni Nabokov and Marty Turco on the outside looking in, and the teams still in need of starting goaltenders has drastically diminished in numbers.
Philadelphia is still a possibility for either of the two, although with all of the signings Philadelphia has made today they don’t have much room for a big goaltender without making another trade. Besides, I’m hearing Chris Mason is a better possibility than Turco or Nabokov in Philadelphia.
What seems to be the case, especially considering the financials of the deals handed to goaltenders so far, is the Nabokov and Turco are likely asking for way too much money. Look for either to sign a one-year contract if they can’t get the deal they want, and there’s still the Washington Capitals out there.
Right now, however, it seems that Turco and Nabokov will have to settle for a backup goaltender job, and there’s always the chance that Nabokov heads on over to the KHL.
Could Turco deal with being a backup goaltender?
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)