Jul 1, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes continue their on-again off-again love affair with Anton Babchuk, signing the big defenseman to a one-year, $1.4 million contract according to Kevin Allen of USA Today.
Babchuk has had an odd career, ping-ponging back and forth from the Hurricanes to Omsk Avangard in Russia every other year. Last season, he played in Russia, scoring 22 points in 49 games in the KHL. He played for Carolina in 08-09 and put up a surprising 35 points.
He’s far from a perfect defenseman but Babchuk is big (6-5, 202 lbs.) and has a sizable point shot as well. If the pattern holds true, though, the Hurricanes will only get him for a year.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5