Jul 1, 2010, 12:59 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes continue their on-again off-again love affair with Anton Babchuk, signing the big defenseman to a one-year, $1.4 million contract according to Kevin Allen of USA Today.
Babchuk has had an odd career, ping-ponging back and forth from the Hurricanes to Omsk Avangard in Russia every other year. Last season, he played in Russia, scoring 22 points in 49 games in the KHL. He played for Carolina in 08-09 and put up a surprising 35 points.
He’s far from a perfect defenseman but Babchuk is big (6-5, 202 lbs.) and has a sizable point shot as well. If the pattern holds true, though, the Hurricanes will only get him for a year.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)