Jul 1, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes continue their on-again off-again love affair with Anton Babchuk, signing the big defenseman to a one-year, $1.4 million contract according to Kevin Allen of USA Today.
Babchuk has had an odd career, ping-ponging back and forth from the Hurricanes to Omsk Avangard in Russia every other year. Last season, he played in Russia, scoring 22 points in 49 games in the KHL. He played for Carolina in 08-09 and put up a surprising 35 points.
He’s far from a perfect defenseman but Babchuk is big (6-5, 202 lbs.) and has a sizable point shot as well. If the pattern holds true, though, the Hurricanes will only get him for a year.
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)