Jul 1, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes continue their on-again off-again love affair with Anton Babchuk, signing the big defenseman to a one-year, $1.4 million contract according to Kevin Allen of USA Today.
Babchuk has had an odd career, ping-ponging back and forth from the Hurricanes to Omsk Avangard in Russia every other year. Last season, he played in Russia, scoring 22 points in 49 games in the KHL. He played for Carolina in 08-09 and put up a surprising 35 points.
He’s far from a perfect defenseman but Babchuk is big (6-5, 202 lbs.) and has a sizable point shot as well. If the pattern holds true, though, the Hurricanes will only get him for a year.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)