Jul 1, 2010, 1:36 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens reportedly signed career backup Alex Auld to a one-year, $1 million contract. (Source: TSN’s James Duthie)
Auld’s presence adds credibility to the rumors that Dan Ellis will probably put on a different team’s sweater next season (although, considering the fact that Carey Price is also waiting for an extension as a restricted free agent, you never know). While Alex Auld is far from a household name among goalies, he’s actually a very solid (and quite large) backup.
In a journeyman career that included stops in Vancouver, Florida, Boston, Phoenix and Ottawa in previous seasons while he played with the Stars and the Rangers in 09-10. He sports a career 90.4 save percentage, a 2.78 GAA and a 83-82-33 record. Those are average numbers, but for a backup, you just hope to see steady stats that indicate your goalie gives your team a chance to win when the starter is taking a breather.
So it’s a solid move by Montreal, but don’t expect Auld to help Habs fans forget Jaroslav Halak.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)