Jul 1, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens reportedly signed career backup Alex Auld to a one-year, $1 million contract. (Source: TSN’s James Duthie)
Auld’s presence adds credibility to the rumors that Dan Ellis will probably put on a different team’s sweater next season (although, considering the fact that Carey Price is also waiting for an extension as a restricted free agent, you never know). While Alex Auld is far from a household name among goalies, he’s actually a very solid (and quite large) backup.
In a journeyman career that included stops in Vancouver, Florida, Boston, Phoenix and Ottawa in previous seasons while he played with the Stars and the Rangers in 09-10. He sports a career 90.4 save percentage, a 2.78 GAA and a 83-82-33 record. Those are average numbers, but for a backup, you just hope to see steady stats that indicate your goalie gives your team a chance to win when the starter is taking a breather.
So it’s a solid move by Montreal, but don’t expect Auld to help Habs fans forget Jaroslav Halak.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 18
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 38
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 71
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks