Jul 1, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens reportedly signed career backup Alex Auld to a one-year, $1 million contract. (Source: TSN’s James Duthie)
Auld’s presence adds credibility to the rumors that Dan Ellis will probably put on a different team’s sweater next season (although, considering the fact that Carey Price is also waiting for an extension as a restricted free agent, you never know). While Alex Auld is far from a household name among goalies, he’s actually a very solid (and quite large) backup.
In a journeyman career that included stops in Vancouver, Florida, Boston, Phoenix and Ottawa in previous seasons while he played with the Stars and the Rangers in 09-10. He sports a career 90.4 save percentage, a 2.78 GAA and a 83-82-33 record. Those are average numbers, but for a backup, you just hope to see steady stats that indicate your goalie gives your team a chance to win when the starter is taking a breather.
So it’s a solid move by Montreal, but don’t expect Auld to help Habs fans forget Jaroslav Halak.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)