Jul 1, 2010, 1:36 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens reportedly signed career backup Alex Auld to a one-year, $1 million contract. (Source: TSN’s James Duthie)
Auld’s presence adds credibility to the rumors that Dan Ellis will probably put on a different team’s sweater next season (although, considering the fact that Carey Price is also waiting for an extension as a restricted free agent, you never know). While Alex Auld is far from a household name among goalies, he’s actually a very solid (and quite large) backup.
In a journeyman career that included stops in Vancouver, Florida, Boston, Phoenix and Ottawa in previous seasons while he played with the Stars and the Rangers in 09-10. He sports a career 90.4 save percentage, a 2.78 GAA and a 83-82-33 record. Those are average numbers, but for a backup, you just hope to see steady stats that indicate your goalie gives your team a chance to win when the starter is taking a breather.
So it’s a solid move by Montreal, but don’t expect Auld to help Habs fans forget Jaroslav Halak.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (127)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)