Jul 1, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens reportedly signed career backup Alex Auld to a one-year, $1 million contract. (Source: TSN’s James Duthie)
Auld’s presence adds credibility to the rumors that Dan Ellis will probably put on a different team’s sweater next season (although, considering the fact that Carey Price is also waiting for an extension as a restricted free agent, you never know). While Alex Auld is far from a household name among goalies, he’s actually a very solid (and quite large) backup.
In a journeyman career that included stops in Vancouver, Florida, Boston, Phoenix and Ottawa in previous seasons while he played with the Stars and the Rangers in 09-10. He sports a career 90.4 save percentage, a 2.78 GAA and a 83-82-33 record. Those are average numbers, but for a backup, you just hope to see steady stats that indicate your goalie gives your team a chance to win when the starter is taking a breather.
So it’s a solid move by Montreal, but don’t expect Auld to help Habs fans forget Jaroslav Halak.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 18
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9