Jul 1, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers signed rugged forward Jody Shelley to a stunning three-year, $3.3 million deal according to Bob McKenzie. Uh, what?
Look, I know the Flyers enjoy living in the stone age at times, re-living their Broad Street Bullies days over and over again. Shelley won’t bring many (if any) points to the table, so you know why the Flyers signed him: for carnage.
When you look at Derek Boogaard failing to sign with the Minnesota Wild, Donald Brashear making his way to the Rangers doghouse and Georges Laraque’s buyout in Montreal, all signs point to enforcers being marginalized. Even if the Flyers decided they wanted to keep that imposing element, why did they pay Shelley so much … and for three years?
I don’t get it, but I guess the Flyers really want to hold true to their traditional image of bruising and bullying opponents. (And, apparently, their own wallets.)
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)