Jul 1, 2010, 2:31 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers signed rugged forward Jody Shelley to a stunning three-year, $3.3 million deal according to Bob McKenzie. Uh, what?
Look, I know the Flyers enjoy living in the stone age at times, re-living their Broad Street Bullies days over and over again. Shelley won’t bring many (if any) points to the table, so you know why the Flyers signed him: for carnage.
When you look at Derek Boogaard failing to sign with the Minnesota Wild, Donald Brashear making his way to the Rangers doghouse and Georges Laraque’s buyout in Montreal, all signs point to enforcers being marginalized. Even if the Flyers decided they wanted to keep that imposing element, why did they pay Shelley so much … and for three years?
I don’t get it, but I guess the Flyers really want to hold true to their traditional image of bruising and bullying opponents. (And, apparently, their own wallets.)
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 17
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 68
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Patrick Kane (fractured clavicle) out 12 weeks after surgery 41
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (71)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)