Jul 1, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers signed rugged forward Jody Shelley to a stunning three-year, $3.3 million deal according to Bob McKenzie. Uh, what?
Look, I know the Flyers enjoy living in the stone age at times, re-living their Broad Street Bullies days over and over again. Shelley won’t bring many (if any) points to the table, so you know why the Flyers signed him: for carnage.
When you look at Derek Boogaard failing to sign with the Minnesota Wild, Donald Brashear making his way to the Rangers doghouse and Georges Laraque’s buyout in Montreal, all signs point to enforcers being marginalized. Even if the Flyers decided they wanted to keep that imposing element, why did they pay Shelley so much … and for three years?
I don’t get it, but I guess the Flyers really want to hold true to their traditional image of bruising and bullying opponents. (And, apparently, their own wallets.)
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally with at MSG 8
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 17
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51