Jul 1, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
Even without signing Dan Hamhuis, the Philadelphia Flyers look to have one of the most expensive defensive units in hockey. They traded for Andrej Meszaros moments ago and now re-signed RFA defenseman Braydon Coburn to a two-year, $6.4 million contract according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Here’s the breakdown of what their defensemen will be making in 2010-11, from highest paid to lowest paid.
Kimmo Timonen: $6.33 million
Chris Pronger: $4.92
Andrej Meszaros: $4
Matt Carle: $3.44
Braydon Coburn: $3.2
Oskars Bartulis: $600K
Five players at $3.2 million or more? Wow. Philadelphia is committing about $21.9 million in cap space to put Timonen, Pronger, Meszaros, Carle and Coburn on the ice.
Could this be a sign that the Flyers are looking to move one of their incumbent defensemen or are they just trying to stack their corps up as much as possible? Coburn’s deal seems pretty fair, but Meszaros’s incoming contract is wildly excessive for a player whose skills have waned over the years.
More to come on all free agent and trade fronts …
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)