Jul 1, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
Perhaps the most giggle-worthy rumor is now fact; the Calgary Flames signed erstwhile forward Olli Jokinen to a two-year, $6 million contract according to Darren Dreger.
Should Jokinen be called the Prodigal Center?
I’ve already discussed how silly the reunion really is, but to review, Jokinen spent a chunk of one unsuccessful season with the Flames in which he was unceremoniously traded to the New York Rangers. Perhaps the Flames will spin the fact that Jokinen can produce a decent amount of points for what’s now a somewhat-low salary, but anyone with experience watching the floating Finn will attest to how empty those totals can often be.
It’s a bewildering move by Calgary, but you never know. Maybe Alex Tanguay and Jokinen can resurrect their careers in what looks like their last chances to prove they can be legitimate NHL players.
If I had to choose, I’d say Tanguay would be the better bet, but you never know. Occasionally a fledgling player can get his act together when the rest of the league seems to give up on his game (see: Afinogenov, Maxim).
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)