Jul 1, 2010, 4:56 PM EST
Perhaps the most giggle-worthy rumor is now fact; the Calgary Flames signed erstwhile forward Olli Jokinen to a two-year, $6 million contract according to Darren Dreger.
Should Jokinen be called the Prodigal Center?
I’ve already discussed how silly the reunion really is, but to review, Jokinen spent a chunk of one unsuccessful season with the Flames in which he was unceremoniously traded to the New York Rangers. Perhaps the Flames will spin the fact that Jokinen can produce a decent amount of points for what’s now a somewhat-low salary, but anyone with experience watching the floating Finn will attest to how empty those totals can often be.
It’s a bewildering move by Calgary, but you never know. Maybe Alex Tanguay and Jokinen can resurrect their careers in what looks like their last chances to prove they can be legitimate NHL players.
If I had to choose, I’d say Tanguay would be the better bet, but you never know. Occasionally a fledgling player can get his act together when the rest of the league seems to give up on his game (see: Afinogenov, Maxim).
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 0
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 23
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 9
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 38
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)