Jul 1, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
Perhaps the most giggle-worthy rumor is now fact; the Calgary Flames signed erstwhile forward Olli Jokinen to a two-year, $6 million contract according to Darren Dreger.
Should Jokinen be called the Prodigal Center?
I’ve already discussed how silly the reunion really is, but to review, Jokinen spent a chunk of one unsuccessful season with the Flames in which he was unceremoniously traded to the New York Rangers. Perhaps the Flames will spin the fact that Jokinen can produce a decent amount of points for what’s now a somewhat-low salary, but anyone with experience watching the floating Finn will attest to how empty those totals can often be.
It’s a bewildering move by Calgary, but you never know. Maybe Alex Tanguay and Jokinen can resurrect their careers in what looks like their last chances to prove they can be legitimate NHL players.
If I had to choose, I’d say Tanguay would be the better bet, but you never know. Occasionally a fledgling player can get his act together when the rest of the league seems to give up on his game (see: Afinogenov, Maxim).
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 59
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination