Jul 1, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
Perhaps the most giggle-worthy rumor is now fact; the Calgary Flames signed erstwhile forward Olli Jokinen to a two-year, $6 million contract according to Darren Dreger.
Should Jokinen be called the Prodigal Center?
I’ve already discussed how silly the reunion really is, but to review, Jokinen spent a chunk of one unsuccessful season with the Flames in which he was unceremoniously traded to the New York Rangers. Perhaps the Flames will spin the fact that Jokinen can produce a decent amount of points for what’s now a somewhat-low salary, but anyone with experience watching the floating Finn will attest to how empty those totals can often be.
It’s a bewildering move by Calgary, but you never know. Maybe Alex Tanguay and Jokinen can resurrect their careers in what looks like their last chances to prove they can be legitimate NHL players.
If I had to choose, I’d say Tanguay would be the better bet, but you never know. Occasionally a fledgling player can get his act together when the rest of the league seems to give up on his game (see: Afinogenov, Maxim).
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)