Jul 1, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
Perhaps the most giggle-worthy rumor is now fact; the Calgary Flames signed erstwhile forward Olli Jokinen to a two-year, $6 million contract according to Darren Dreger.
Should Jokinen be called the Prodigal Center?
I’ve already discussed how silly the reunion really is, but to review, Jokinen spent a chunk of one unsuccessful season with the Flames in which he was unceremoniously traded to the New York Rangers. Perhaps the Flames will spin the fact that Jokinen can produce a decent amount of points for what’s now a somewhat-low salary, but anyone with experience watching the floating Finn will attest to how empty those totals can often be.
It’s a bewildering move by Calgary, but you never know. Maybe Alex Tanguay and Jokinen can resurrect their careers in what looks like their last chances to prove they can be legitimate NHL players.
If I had to choose, I’d say Tanguay would be the better bet, but you never know. Occasionally a fledgling player can get his act together when the rest of the league seems to give up on his game (see: Afinogenov, Maxim).
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)