Jul 1, 2010, 3:56 PM EDT
For years, Glen Sather was the annual leader in head-scratching deals for GMs. It seems like Darryl Sutter is trying to give him a run for his money, as various sources (including Darren Dreger and Bruce Garrioch) indicate that the Calgary Flames might bring back fledgling center Olli Jokinen. Dreger reported that the deal could be for two years, with a cap hit between $3 and $3.5 million.
Just about the entire hockey world is laughing at this possible deal.
People expected Jokinen to flourish when he left the Florida Panthers for the Phoenix Coyotes, but he instead floundered since leaving the anonymity of Sunrise, Fla. It was questionable that the struggling Finn would make it with an NHL team, but he failed miserably with the Flames just last year. Eventually he was traded to the New York Rangers where he did very little of note … except fail to score a shootout goal that could have helped the team make it to the playoffs. It was a symbolic moment for Jokinen, whose career went from uneven to severely disappointing.
Now, the bright news is that Jokinen is not an official member of the Flames just yet. The talks are ongoing. Maybe it’s just a scary rumor.
If not, though, it will be another hilarious moment for everyone … except Flames fans, of course.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 18
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 55
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control