Jul 1, 2010, 3:56 PM EDT
For years, Glen Sather was the annual leader in head-scratching deals for GMs. It seems like Darryl Sutter is trying to give him a run for his money, as various sources (including Darren Dreger and Bruce Garrioch) indicate that the Calgary Flames might bring back fledgling center Olli Jokinen. Dreger reported that the deal could be for two years, with a cap hit between $3 and $3.5 million.
Just about the entire hockey world is laughing at this possible deal.
People expected Jokinen to flourish when he left the Florida Panthers for the Phoenix Coyotes, but he instead floundered since leaving the anonymity of Sunrise, Fla. It was questionable that the struggling Finn would make it with an NHL team, but he failed miserably with the Flames just last year. Eventually he was traded to the New York Rangers where he did very little of note … except fail to score a shootout goal that could have helped the team make it to the playoffs. It was a symbolic moment for Jokinen, whose career went from uneven to severely disappointing.
Now, the bright news is that Jokinen is not an official member of the Flames just yet. The talks are ongoing. Maybe it’s just a scary rumor.
If not, though, it will be another hilarious moment for everyone … except Flames fans, of course.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 5
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 7
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 47
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)