Jul 1, 2010, 3:56 PM EST
For years, Glen Sather was the annual leader in head-scratching deals for GMs. It seems like Darryl Sutter is trying to give him a run for his money, as various sources (including Darren Dreger and Bruce Garrioch) indicate that the Calgary Flames might bring back fledgling center Olli Jokinen. Dreger reported that the deal could be for two years, with a cap hit between $3 and $3.5 million.
Just about the entire hockey world is laughing at this possible deal.
People expected Jokinen to flourish when he left the Florida Panthers for the Phoenix Coyotes, but he instead floundered since leaving the anonymity of Sunrise, Fla. It was questionable that the struggling Finn would make it with an NHL team, but he failed miserably with the Flames just last year. Eventually he was traded to the New York Rangers where he did very little of note … except fail to score a shootout goal that could have helped the team make it to the playoffs. It was a symbolic moment for Jokinen, whose career went from uneven to severely disappointing.
Now, the bright news is that Jokinen is not an official member of the Flames just yet. The talks are ongoing. Maybe it’s just a scary rumor.
If not, though, it will be another hilarious moment for everyone … except Flames fans, of course.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)