Jul 1, 2010, 3:56 PM EDT
For years, Glen Sather was the annual leader in head-scratching deals for GMs. It seems like Darryl Sutter is trying to give him a run for his money, as various sources (including Darren Dreger and Bruce Garrioch) indicate that the Calgary Flames might bring back fledgling center Olli Jokinen. Dreger reported that the deal could be for two years, with a cap hit between $3 and $3.5 million.
Just about the entire hockey world is laughing at this possible deal.
People expected Jokinen to flourish when he left the Florida Panthers for the Phoenix Coyotes, but he instead floundered since leaving the anonymity of Sunrise, Fla. It was questionable that the struggling Finn would make it with an NHL team, but he failed miserably with the Flames just last year. Eventually he was traded to the New York Rangers where he did very little of note … except fail to score a shootout goal that could have helped the team make it to the playoffs. It was a symbolic moment for Jokinen, whose career went from uneven to severely disappointing.
Now, the bright news is that Jokinen is not an official member of the Flames just yet. The talks are ongoing. Maybe it’s just a scary rumor.
If not, though, it will be another hilarious moment for everyone … except Flames fans, of course.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)