Jul 1, 2010, 3:56 PM EDT
For years, Glen Sather was the annual leader in head-scratching deals for GMs. It seems like Darryl Sutter is trying to give him a run for his money, as various sources (including Darren Dreger and Bruce Garrioch) indicate that the Calgary Flames might bring back fledgling center Olli Jokinen. Dreger reported that the deal could be for two years, with a cap hit between $3 and $3.5 million.
Just about the entire hockey world is laughing at this possible deal.
People expected Jokinen to flourish when he left the Florida Panthers for the Phoenix Coyotes, but he instead floundered since leaving the anonymity of Sunrise, Fla. It was questionable that the struggling Finn would make it with an NHL team, but he failed miserably with the Flames just last year. Eventually he was traded to the New York Rangers where he did very little of note … except fail to score a shootout goal that could have helped the team make it to the playoffs. It was a symbolic moment for Jokinen, whose career went from uneven to severely disappointing.
Now, the bright news is that Jokinen is not an official member of the Flames just yet. The talks are ongoing. Maybe it’s just a scary rumor.
If not, though, it will be another hilarious moment for everyone … except Flames fans, of course.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)