Jul 1, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils lost key defenseman Paul Martin today, but they’re trying to fill the void by committee with the additions of Henrik Tallinder and former Ottawa Senators defenseman Anton Volchenkov.
Volchenkov’s agent Jay Grossman just Tweeted that the Devils are on the verge of signing the Russian shutdown D for a six year deal. Darren Dreger reports that the deal is worth $4.25 million per year, so that means the grand total is $25.5 million.
Despite having the reputation for being a solid defensive team, it seems like New Jersey struggles in the matchup-heavy playoffs since the team lacks the kind of players who can truly lock it down in their own end. Along with being gritty and defensive minded, Volchenkov is known for being one of the league’s most frequent shot blockers. He should help the team in those tough summer months.
The problem is that they’re paying pretty big money for a guy who regularly puts himself in harm’s way … and doesn’t do much to help his team put the puck in the opposing team’s net. His career high is 19 points, so Volchenkov is all about defense.
That’s fine, but it might be difficult for him to live up to his deal unless he really locks down the opposition’s top players. It’s a risky contract in many ways, but Volchenkov is the type of player sports writers like to call a “warrior” and should still be in his prime for most of the deal. (He’s only 28.)
So, overall, it’s a solid deal but – just like almost every free agent situation – it comes with some serious risks. How do you feel about the move? Tell us in the comments.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)