Jul 1, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
How, exactly, does Derek Morris keep making so much money? The Boston Bruins gave him a one year, $3.3 million deal last year and now the Phoenix Coyotes signed him to a ridiculous four-year, $11 million deal according to HNIC’s Jeff Marek.
That’s about $2.75 million per year for the 31-year-old defenseman who can bring a mixture of offense and hitting to the table. He generally finishes in the mid-20s each season, points-wise.
The problem is that a) that’s really a pretty average total once you get past the league’s most average players and b) he’s often very faulty in his own zone. Morris has a knack for turning over the puck at the worst possible times and rarely shows signs of being a lockdown defenseman.
Honestly, would you rather spend $20 million for five years of superior work from Zbynek Michalek or $11 million for four years of lukewarm results from Derek Morris? Perhaps Michalek simply preferred the idea of playing for a contender in Pittsburgh, too, but if the Coyotes had a chance to make the former deal, then they must have some regrets.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)