Jul 1, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
How, exactly, does Derek Morris keep making so much money? The Boston Bruins gave him a one year, $3.3 million deal last year and now the Phoenix Coyotes signed him to a ridiculous four-year, $11 million deal according to HNIC’s Jeff Marek.
That’s about $2.75 million per year for the 31-year-old defenseman who can bring a mixture of offense and hitting to the table. He generally finishes in the mid-20s each season, points-wise.
The problem is that a) that’s really a pretty average total once you get past the league’s most average players and b) he’s often very faulty in his own zone. Morris has a knack for turning over the puck at the worst possible times and rarely shows signs of being a lockdown defenseman.
Honestly, would you rather spend $20 million for five years of superior work from Zbynek Michalek or $11 million for four years of lukewarm results from Derek Morris? Perhaps Michalek simply preferred the idea of playing for a contender in Pittsburgh, too, but if the Coyotes had a chance to make the former deal, then they must have some regrets.
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 1
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 7
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 17
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 61
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 93
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games