Jul 1, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
How, exactly, does Derek Morris keep making so much money? The Boston Bruins gave him a one year, $3.3 million deal last year and now the Phoenix Coyotes signed him to a ridiculous four-year, $11 million deal according to HNIC’s Jeff Marek.
That’s about $2.75 million per year for the 31-year-old defenseman who can bring a mixture of offense and hitting to the table. He generally finishes in the mid-20s each season, points-wise.
The problem is that a) that’s really a pretty average total once you get past the league’s most average players and b) he’s often very faulty in his own zone. Morris has a knack for turning over the puck at the worst possible times and rarely shows signs of being a lockdown defenseman.
Honestly, would you rather spend $20 million for five years of superior work from Zbynek Michalek or $11 million for four years of lukewarm results from Derek Morris? Perhaps Michalek simply preferred the idea of playing for a contender in Pittsburgh, too, but if the Coyotes had a chance to make the former deal, then they must have some regrets.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 53
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (53)