Jul 1, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are committed to improving their defensive corps this season and with several defensemen set to become UFA’s next summer, they are now set for the next few seasons. After acquiring Keith Ballard from the Florida Panthers, the Canucks have now won the Dan Hamhuis sweepstakes.
The Canucks were the frontrunners for Hamhuis for most of the day, however several teams jumped in on the talks and caused his price to raise just a bit.
Hamhuis signs a six-year contract worth $4.5 million per season, which is somewhat reasonable considering some of the contracts being thrown about today. The length is a bit interesting, but at $4.5 million that’s right in line with the market that’s been created today.
There’s also some thoughts that Hamhuis took a bit of a discount to go to Vancouver, where he’ll be the top defenseman and be regarded as a cornerstone for the franchise moving forward.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic