Jul 1, 2010, 11:41 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes are desperately trying to keep defenseman Zbynek Michalek, one of the more underrated defensemen to hit the open market this year. He’s set to become a free agent in just under 20 minutes, but until then the Coyotes are working on re-signing their defenseman to keep him in Phoenix.
With the cap going up and Michalek on the upper tier of defensemen among free agents this year, there’s a sentiment that he’d have to take a ‘hometown discount’ for Phoenix — since he’s likely to sign a better contract elsewhere.
The chances of Michalek staying in Phoenix right now looks incredibly slim, however.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)