Jul 1, 2010, 11:41 AM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes are desperately trying to keep defenseman Zbynek Michalek, one of the more underrated defensemen to hit the open market this year. He’s set to become a free agent in just under 20 minutes, but until then the Coyotes are working on re-signing their defenseman to keep him in Phoenix.
With the cap going up and Michalek on the upper tier of defensemen among free agents this year, there’s a sentiment that he’d have to take a ‘hometown discount’ for Phoenix — since he’s likely to sign a better contract elsewhere.
The chances of Michalek staying in Phoenix right now looks incredibly slim, however.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)