Jul 1, 2010, 11:41 AM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes are desperately trying to keep defenseman Zbynek Michalek, one of the more underrated defensemen to hit the open market this year. He’s set to become a free agent in just under 20 minutes, but until then the Coyotes are working on re-signing their defenseman to keep him in Phoenix.
With the cap going up and Michalek on the upper tier of defensemen among free agents this year, there’s a sentiment that he’d have to take a ‘hometown discount’ for Phoenix — since he’s likely to sign a better contract elsewhere.
The chances of Michalek staying in Phoenix right now looks incredibly slim, however.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)