Jul 1, 2010, 11:41 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes are desperately trying to keep defenseman Zbynek Michalek, one of the more underrated defensemen to hit the open market this year. He’s set to become a free agent in just under 20 minutes, but until then the Coyotes are working on re-signing their defenseman to keep him in Phoenix.
With the cap going up and Michalek on the upper tier of defensemen among free agents this year, there’s a sentiment that he’d have to take a ‘hometown discount’ for Phoenix — since he’s likely to sign a better contract elsewhere.
The chances of Michalek staying in Phoenix right now looks incredibly slim, however.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)